No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter  (Read 774 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Decanter
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:06:04 PM »
I appreciate it may be difficult to id this decanter but was wondering on an age please.  Approx 3lbs in weight and 1cm thick.  Highly polished flat rim.  Multi faceted sides.  The base looks flat and polished but in fact has a slight obscure pattern to it (unable to capture pattern).  Pleased to find one with matching stopper.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: Decanter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »
This looks like it could be vintage Val St. Lambert, from 1900-1920 or so - but that's just a guess. It might be a starting point though, or one to cross off your list of possibilities.

Kelli

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »
Thanks Kelli I have been looking through quite a few VSL since last posted and have found two similar but different if that makes sense if I mush them both together then it would be a match.  Tried the VSL website but can't attach a pic in their contact us bit.  Does anyone kindly have their mailing address please.  It certainly is a quality item and one I shall definately pursue further.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
Margi  -  it is certainly an eye catching piece.    Are you sure that it is 1 cm. thick throughout??    and what sort of wear is evident?   cheers   Paul S.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:40:03 AM »
Hello Paul, thank you I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.  The rim is 1cm think and (sorry if this sounds silly) but when I put my thumb in the inside as far as I could get it and place my other thumb on the outside in the same place there was still a definite thickness of approx 1cm.  I thought it had a look of art deco but then wasn't so sure as there is not a lot of wear on the base.  Just a few scratches on the base.  A small slight misting on the inside centre of the base.  There is a very small crack just below the rim and the stopper has a very small chip. There is wear on the stopper and on the inside of the rim where the stopper has been taken in and out.  When it is displayed none of these can be seen so brought it home with me.
Thanks for having a peek.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
Margi  -  I don't know if the same applies to Belgian or other Continetal made decanters, but as you probably know, good quality ones English ones do usually have matching nos. on both the stopper and top flange of the neck.   This is one way of telling if the stopper matches or not, although sometimes these nos. are quite discreet  -  does yours have a no.??       I'm often knee deep in oldish decanters at some of the big boot sales, and the vast majority of these have bases that are worn/scratched fairly heavily.   I wud be inclined to think that if there is little wear on the base of yours then it may not be quite as old as first thought.  I don't have the book, but perhaps if you can get someone to look in the standard tome on decanters, it might help.    However, at the end of the day, back to the old maxim - if you like it keep it.   Paul S. 

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »
Hello Paul, I have checked the neck out and the stopper but no number  :cry: I presume it would be the same here as I know my Baccarat items have numbers on both the bases and the stoppers.  Probably like you say Paul, not as old as first thought more a stylization.  I deffo love it though  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand