No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An atypical Whitefriars  (Read 1713 times)

Offline petern00

• Members
An atypical Whitefriars
« on: November 20, 2009, 01:03:55 AM »
This is an uncommon 'design'; as is the ground colour (albeit used extensively in other forms of Whitefriars glass).  An 'experimental' piece perhaps?
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
Re: An atypical Whitefriars
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »
which one?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
Lothar.  I'm not sure what your question refers to but perhaps a fuller explanation on my part will help us both. 

The weight shown is not one of the Whitefriars production lines that I've seen previously (I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgable.).  The usual standard for precise layout is absent here: Instead we have what appears to be little more that a few canes thrown onto a ground without any care for placement or design.  [Roy Brown - whom I suspect will read this thread sooner or later ~) - might be able to confirm for us whether or not the canes are Whitefriars' stock.]

I'm speculating that this weight has been an experimental or practice piece made by one of the glassblowers for whatever reason. The absence of any facetting - a production step that would usually be applied to a weight destined for market - would be consistent with this notion. The date cane tells us that is was made during or after 1977, although before stocks reached Caithness [As far as I know the typical 'encased button' structure was never used at Caithness(?)].   

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this one?
Peter

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »
Hi Peter and Lothar

To start I think Lothar's query was which weight were you talking about as the reference "this" in blue was not as obvious as usual.

With reference to the weight I agree, very unusual both in ground and poor layout. I have had a quick check and find I do not have that colour ground .The more usual ground for the spaced millefiori is Blue or Green. I have found most of the canes in my weight collection so I would agree that this appears to be a trial weight made in or after 1977 .

When I first saw it I did not realise the colour was unusual so I think I have seen others but have never managed to buy one.

Just for info Peter, I have 20 unfaceted Whitefriars so they were not always faceted.  Often I prefer the unfaceted versions

Roy

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
Thanks, Roy.

The unfaceted weights are particualry attractive. Their relative simplicity appeals to me; being able to appreciate the layout without the visual distraction that comes with facets.  They appear, however, to be far less common that their faceted siblings; although perhpas not particularly under-represented when considered against the variety of cut patterns that were available.  A brochure from the mid/late '70 shows that only 5 of 36 patterns on offer were uncut.

BTW That same brochure lists 'ruby' as one of only four alternative background colours available.  So perhaps the colour wasn't as unusual as we thought, although I haven't noticed many around.

Best wishes.
Peter

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »
It sold far too cheap and i missed it , damn . >:D

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
....don't worry Mr Hobbs, it went to a really good home :chky:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Yes i know old Hawkeye the glass ferret got it , well done Rich . :hiclp: :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand