No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian? Italian? English? ID = Elis Bergh for Kosta  (Read 1140 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Scandinavian? Italian? English? ID = Elis Bergh for Kosta
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
I have just bought two job lots opf assorted glass and had a great time identifying as many as I could - Murano, Whitefriars, Selkirk, Caithness to name but a few. However one or two pieces have stumped me and I would be grateful for any help with their ID.
The first is a very heavy triangular based bowl that so easily could be Scandinavian or Italian or what???? It has a polished sunken pontil and on the flat base at the edge of the pontil is engraved B1900. Can anyone shed any light on the probable maker of this piece?

Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Scandinavian? Italian? English? Help greatly appreciated with ID....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »
Looks like the Kosta coding for Elis Bergh designs. See: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27956.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm chuffed that Scandinavian was my first thought and this information will now be filed away in my ever-increasing, but still rather sparse, knowledge bank.
Ronnie

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »
following on from this and the linked post I checked in the swedish glass factories book. In Kosta 1959 (p 397 my copy) there are a number of bits by Ellis Berg - "the letters BH refer to designs by Ellis Bergh, in various techniques, which were either still being produced in the later 1950s or had been reintroduced. The item numbers facilitate dating of the designs." There's then a table with dates of designs.

This piece is in there with the number BH 1900 - which dates it as 1940 for the design. The fact that yours is B1900 and not BH 1900 points to one of the earlier made bits (in one of the earlier pages in the book are some designs labelled B xxx, which appear to be by Bergh also).

Gareth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17:10 PM »
Thank you, Gareth, for the reply to my posting. I have been away for the week, hence the lack of acknowledgement.
Regards
Ronnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand