No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mermaid Vase - Any Thoughts?  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Mermaid Vase - Any Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »
...i put a thread on this forum with pictures of a few of my H Walton finger bowls quite some time ago... ...if anyone wants to use the pictures its OK with me ...

Where is that thread? And yes please :-)

found it http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16970.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »
Hi Kev i think  that vase is absolutely gorgeous :mrgreen:  i wish i had a special paperweight to tempt you with . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Vase of the year in my book  :thup:  jp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
I will soon be summarising my current research results, which are mainly from the Scotland's People records information. Some earlier literary information would seem to be slightly incorrect!!

Thanks to JP for the info about, and Frank for the link to, the earlier message about the Walton bowls. I missed that one! (or did I really search the GMB first?  :-[ ). When I have done my bit (and that will be after I have considered whatever Brian Blench offers me in the new year) I will merge this thread with JP's original.

For now, please note that the first link that Anne gave in JP's thread is to the same image that is included in the new Scotland's Glass book and it was that Jug's decoration that gave me my "Aha!" moment. I did not spot that one in my main Internet searches, but the other Kelvingrove images were found.
KevinH

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
Kev i have seen others but yours is by far the best i have seen . :hiclp: :thup: :mrgreen:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 03:45:19 AM »
After much enjoyable rummaging in the Scotland's People website, I can summarise:

There are several inconsistencies within records for the same people. For example, a second forename exists for both male and female entries connected with the Walton family, which is noted as "Gandy" or "Grandy" or "Gaudy". A similar problem also exists for the middle name of Hannah and this is manually recorded in summary details as both "Nore" and "More".

However, both the Birth and Death Certificates for Hannah state the name as "More" in the manually recorded summary details. And for those records the actual written entries do show an "M" rather than an "N" (or anything else). Also, Hannah was a witness to the marriage of younger sister, Constance, and the name is clearly "More" and not "Nore".

In all the cases of Hannah's name that I could find on certficates or census records, I tried to check the actual writing against other examples (in the same hand) to compare with other upper case "M" or "N" entries. In some cases, a clear example was not available but in others it was. One particularly good example was the "M" of "May" in the date of birth for Hannah (Sixteenth May 1862, at 2 hours 0 minutes am), which matches the "M" of "More".

So, for now, at least, I am confident that Hannah Walton, born May 16 1862, and who died unmarried aged 78 on October 10 1940, had the full name of Hannah More Walton and that it was she who painted and signed the decoration on my vase.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 04:06:58 AM »
And there are definitely one or two discrepancies in existing literature.

For instance, my search through census records for 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 show that the father, Jackson, had two children: Mary (born in Lanarkshire) & Jackson (born in Engalnd), by a first wife. His second wife, Eliza, bore him (at least) 11 other children between 1846/7 and 1867. So there were actually thirteen children, not twelve as stated in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects page for George Walton.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
Good rummaging, well done  :hiclp:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
I'll second that - an excellent piece of research  :thup:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
Very good work Kevin.

In confirmation of your findings on the family and to extend your point about 11 children:

"Jackson ..... married Janet Young, with whom he had two chilren, and then Eliza Ann Nicholson, in 1844. Eliza bore twelve children, of whom George was the youngest". Information from Edward Walton, Gearge Walton Scott and Stephen Downs; Glasgow P.O. Directories; MacSporran, Edward Arthur Walton pp.11-13.

The twelve mentioned in Dictionary of Scottish Architects page for George Walton might well be those from the second marriage.

The information about Hannah's middle name is excellant.

Nigel

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »
Well done Kev.  :thup: Now you are not just a glass collector, but a genealogist as well.  :chky:

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand