No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SMALL SQUARE FUSED PLATE/ASHTRAY?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
SMALL SQUARE FUSED PLATE/ASHTRAY?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
This plate has similarities to another piece I have posted most recently, however the difference is, that this one has the letters DIDIM.  These markings are within the plate and not on the surface.  The small square patterns are fused.  The plate itself has a smooth surface on the top and textured underneath.  The plate/ashtray measures 12.7cm X 12.7cm.  Apparently I have been informed that this particular piece was purchased from a car boot.  I have not seen one like this before and have searched a number of websites to no avail.  Can anyone assist me in identifying this unusual piece.   Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: SMALL SQUARE FUSED PLATE/ASHTRAY?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:33 AM »
I suggest a Turkish souvenir, as Didim is a Turkish city and there is a glass industry in the country

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:53:33 AM »
Wow Christine!  Were did you obtain that info. from?  I am impressed.  Thanks very much for the information.  :thup:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »
I used that wonderful thing called Google and used Didim +glass as my search terms

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »
I did use google but I did not manage to extract the information you were able to.  I will have to spend more time in my search in future.  Anyway, once again, thanks for you help.  :thup:  By the way could you tell me if Whitefriars are still experiencing problems with their site?The reason for asking is that I have just purchased some beautiful pieces over the weekend from Charity Shops and Carboot and a few of them I was advised to put directly on Whitefriars.     Not to worry if you don't know.  I will just have to put them on this site as it is my preferred site anyway.  For the novice.....more user freindly as one would say.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand