No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possibly antique olive green glass decanter with prunts  (Read 8448 times)

Offline kmax70

• Members
Thanks all.   I am fairly sure that this decanter predates the DDR by some 40 - 50 years at least.

I would love to know how to apply the silicon grease through such a narrow opening?   All my attempts to clean off the marks inside the vessel have failed utterly.

As for looking through the books - the only thing I have found that is remotely like it is in Miller's Antiques guide - a late 17th century roemer in tinted green glass with applied prunts - it has the same type of concentric ringed base.   Somehow I don't think mine is quite that old, but one lives in hope!   KM.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I suspect a "carrier" of some sort of solvent would be the way to go about it, but I honestly don't know.
Something in the back of my (very leaky) brain is telling me Ivo said something about this, maybe about 5-6 years ago.........

I'v also read that there are ways of getting the insides of decanters polished, which might be a bit costlier and certainly time-consuming, but this is such a beautiful beast I think it would be well worth getting it sorted.

Polishing it would mean you could use it.

Warning! If you do find a solvent and use it, do not, under any circumstances, decide to "burn it off".
I one used methanol to rinse a decanter, then (very stupidly) thought;
"I know, I'll put a flame at the top, to burn off the excess solvent...."

WHOOOOSH.
An enormous flame exploded with an almighty bang. Gave me an awful fright....
and I was very lucky that's all it gave me!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kmax70

• Members
Sounds an exciting way to go!  Sounds like our Christmas pudding that was liberally laced with brandy that it wouldn't go out. 

I don't think I actually want to use the decanter - that way damage lies.   Just want to display it amongst my other glass pieces.

I'd like to know a bit more about it so that my daughters will know what they are inheriting once I pop my clogs.

KM.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
A guy in Brackley Northampton , Basil Loveridge does a great job polishing out most of the dealers use him with great results
cost i believe around the 10 to 15 pounds well worth it.  The info for him is somewhere on the forum . if you cant find it let me know . jp

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
KM, I wasn't suggesting yours was the same age, just flagging up that the colour was known in German glass. :thup:  Glassworks spanned more years than the political masters of any state. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline kmax70

• Members
Thanks, Anne.  How true.  I should have thought of that.   :-[

I now have another direction in which to search.  It is certainly an unusual colour for any British glass that I have seen.   

My grandfather used to go to auction sales in some of the big houses in North London at the turn of the century, so it may have been picked up during one of his forays. KM.

Offline kmax70

• Members
A guy in Brackley Northampton , Basil Loveridge does a great job polishing out most of the dealers use him with great results
cost i believe around the 10 to 15 pounds well worth it.  The info for him is somewhere on the forum . if you cant find it let me know . jp

If you could point me in the direction of  Basil Loveridge's address I would be most grateful.  I think it would be worth the effort to get it cleaned up.  It looks awful when the light catches it at the moment. KM.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Basils number 01280706490 Give him a call maybe you can post as its a long way .jp

Offline kmax70

• Members
Basils number 01280706490 Give him a call maybe you can post as its a long way .jp

Many thanks for that.  KM.

Offline Kevin B

• Members
Either I now own this decanter or I have just bought one exactly the same from eBay.  It was listed as Venetian, but now I have it in my hands it is clearly not that.  The stopper peg has a very English/Edwardian look and feel to it.  There is a very similar decanter in the Whitefriars section on the Bristol Blue Glass Museum web site.  I have asked them about it and they say the auction house they got their decanter set from listed it as Whitefriars.  The colour way matches some other English glass that I have, but that glass is not probably not Whitefriars.  The colour does not match my other dark green Whitefriars pieces of the same period.  It doesn't have the usual polished Whitefriars pontil, but the pontil is so recessed that it would not be possible to polish it.  It says to me, I am quaiity and craft.  I am open to suggestions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand