No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: hyacinth vases - are these new? ribbed blue and green  (Read 1210 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
hyacinth vases - are these new? ribbed blue and green
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
My collection is growing slowly.  I have an old turquoise one to match my amethyst  :)  but the other day I found these.
Both ribbed but different shapes.  I have searched extensively  :spls: and think I found one similar to the blue one, shape wise, featured on a florist website but there were no close ups or details of it.  If it was the same then perhaps the blue is new?  The green one I have been unable to find.
Somewhere on this site there was reference to some being made in India (different design to these) but these remind me slightly of my christmas baubles which I know are Indian glass.  So I was wondering if they are modern?
They are blown not pressed, but presumably mould blown?

Any help would be great.
Thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: hyacinth vases - are these new? ribbed blue and green
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »
I'm sure Patricia will have to say something about these tomorrow - but for the time being it looks as if the blue one is a Leerdam from the thirties and the green one is English. And yes, mould blown is correct for both of them.

I cold be way off the mark, of course :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:38:36 PM »
Ivo many thanks.
I will be one very happy person if they are as I nearly gave them to a friend as a present  :o

m

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
Hi Miranda,

Difficult case, both of them.
Neither have ever appeared in a bulb catalogue to at least be able to date them.
Both only show up in the UK (unless they travelled somewhere else with their owner).
Leerdam they defenitely are not.
Going through endless Pottery Gazette's I noticed that two companies imported an enormous amount of bulb vases to the UK. One of them was Wuidart and the other the Anglo Belge Glass Association. It would not surprise me if either of them could have been responsible for these vases, I've been surprised before!
I have both and I am looking at them right now. You sure touched a nerve, I will be looking at them for awhile now again...

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »
Hi Patricia

thanks for replying  :)
I am not sure whether my feelings that these may be new are based on anything other than naivety and my lack of experience/knowledge of glass (I haven't seen that much in real life and the internet is no basis really).  However, what threw me is that both look pretty immaculate in condition.
Looking again I do now think they have both been used at some point as their is some faint evidence inside when looking very closely, but the rims are absolutely perfect and there is very little base wear.
I looked in the Hyacinth museum online and found the blue one I think  as well but mine looks as though it has more ribs possibly (though that may be the photograph and I guess not all moulds will be the same?) but couldn't see the green one.
My blue is 16cm tall the green is 15cm tall.
Having said all that I now don't think they originated in the same place looking more closely at them.
I will try and find this florist site that I thought I saw the blue one on.  I think it was a US based florist.
Thanks again.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
Patricia, this item is ending soon on the big E - it's the same as my blue one.
Whatever it is, perhaps not one to give away as a present then  ;D

m

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
Not the same one, the attachment of neck and body are different.
And which Hyacinth Museum online did you look at? Don't tell me I missed something.....
Be assured however that neither of your vases are new, new as in "I'll buy another one tomorrow".

P
Patricia

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
Thanks Patricia. I see what you mean exactly now I have looked closer.
Also  I'm glad they are not a very recent production.  

http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/index55.html
4th row down 2nd from right but looking carefully I think mine has more ribs, so not the same despite the shape similarity.
and same page bottom row 2nd in from left - I thought that may be similar to the green, but I think my green has more of a pronounces bowing on the bowl sides?

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
The shape of these vases is dictated by their function and there are only a handful of basic models anyway - but there have been dozens if not hundreds of producers over the past 300-odd years. The result is that you can run into similar vases with slight variations - which become meaningful for a handful of fanatic dedicated collectors only.  The collection on show at the museum of which you linked pictures was the estate of a Swiss collector and it did not contain Dutch glasses - which are the only ones properly researched and described. So yes, there may be a similarity, and no, you will not be geting any certainty that it is, or is not, from a particular factory. I would also advise you to use the information you found onliine with caution.

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Phew, I can relax!
You did not look at a Hyacinth Museum but at the Regional Museum in Lisse where the whole collection of a Swiss friend of mine ended up, after she passed away in the year 2000.
As it was, she had next to no Dutch bulb vases (she found them too simple) and very little English (apart from the few I brought her).
You are looking at a lot of French bulb vases here, quite a few Scandinavian and German and then the odd one from other countries.
I am involved in placing half of this collection in another museum right now for a temporarily exhibition. Only last week I packed both these vases you looked at, in one museum and unpacked them in the other and I can tell you that yours is not like either of them.
If you could handle them like I do at the moment, you'd see the difference as well.
Rest assured, as soon as I find out more about yours, I'll let you know. Just don't give them away in the meantime!

Patricia
Patricia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand