No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Swan ID help would be appreciated. Tat or Treasure?  (Read 705 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Members
Glass Swan ID help would be appreciated. Tat or Treasure?
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:11:18 PM »
Hello everyone,

Once again another bit of glass I bought on impulse buy. Some of you know that I have only just started collecting (and know little to nothing) and am beggining to spend small amounts of money (less than £10) on things that I like wherever I see them.  I really need to start doing more research beforehand, but when I saw this swan I really liked it and at £5 I thought its worth a punt. So the big question.... tat or treasure? I thought the beak shape looks similar to some murano pieces i've seen while browsing the web, so thought it could be worth a shot.

It stands at roughly 8" in height, has wonderful red running through it but also the glass looks orange/amber coloured from certain angles (more or less depending where you look from and where light is)

Anyway once again and help would be much appreciated. I think its a wonderful little piece of craftsmanship! But I value all your opinions. Thanks for looking.

Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Glass Swan ID help would be appreciated. Tat or Treasure?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
From the base, I would say it is contemporary Italian, perhaps Murano. It is neither tat nor treasure, just a pretty swan that is worth owning IMO.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ChrisB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »
Thanks for your opinion. When you say contemporary what decade are you talking roughly? 70's / 80's?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:08 PM »
Contemporary to me means 1980s and later.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand