No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for amber drinking glass  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for amber drinking glass
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
bearing in mind the colour, plus the waisted shape and the rather large ground and polished pontil mark  -  I wondered if it might possibly have been wfrs.    However, having looked through the catalogues, I now don't think it is.      You can see the slight Wrythen style as well  -  but the rather large ground pontil mark seemed unusual if it had been a low cost item.     About 145mm tall.     Interested if anyone has any ideas or comments, and thanks for looking.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Re: id request for amber drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
Hi - it looks like one of these, on the right in the main photo. Must have come in three sizes judging by the line drawings but I can't make out a pattern number or the sizes.

http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/cat-60/p07.jpg

robbo
robbo

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »
thanks robbo  -  I am a little wiser now and do try some research before I post, so was aware of course that there is this 'waisted' M104 tumbler from at least a couple of catalogues.   However, I don't know if M104 is quite this 'waisted' or even that it had a 'wrythen' style like mine.    From experience I know that there is a world of difference between 'looking like this', and actually being the real thing.    Sincere thanks for your interest, and we now need an expert to help, I think.  My problem is that whenever I see 'amber/gold' with a ground pontil I automatically think of wfrs. :)

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
Hi Paul—no one else has contributed here—so I thought I'd have another stab  :P
Your piece is definitely not an M104 tumbler—like you say yourself M104 has no optic ribbing and has a less pronounced waist.
The catalogue link I posted above was for a vase from the 1960 catalogue, available in three sizes. Like I said, I can't make out the pattern no. or sizes from the scan, but the photograph shows a vase of the same shape as your piece, with a pronounced waist and vertical optic ribbing.
Also check pattern #9464 from the 1957 catalogue (but appears only available in 13" in the '57 catalogue).

From experience I know that there is a world of difference between 'looking like this', and actually being the real thing.
I agree; but if I felt I didn't have something to contribute then I wouldn't have bothered.

My problem is that whenever I see 'amber/gold' with a ground pontil I automatically think of wfrs. :)
or Stuart, or Webb or a good few others! The important thing, IMHO, is the way the pontil mark has been ground out & polished in combination with a whole host of other factors.
robbo

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
robbo  -  thanks for the contribution again.    Apologies if you thought I was 'knocking' your comments, certainly not my intention  -  it's just that I try to be a little more cautious now and think before I engage mouth ;D, and I sense you may well know a lot more about wfrs. than me.    In fact I had hoped that one of the other wfrs. buffs may have added something to help.    I will continue looking, and you are correct of course that amber/gold etc. cud well be any one of several sources, and I may have to put this particular piece on the back burner when I have more time and perhaps have some more inspiration.    thanks again.     Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand