No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finnish vases for id please.  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Finnish vases for id please.
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
I can find an image of the larger piece, but can't seem to get a name pinned to it  -  but cud very well be Helena Tynell (Riihimaen Lasi)  -  so wud be very grateful for confirmation or otherwise please, and wud interested if this design has a 'name'.     Might the smaller one be from the same source?   Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Finnish vases for id please.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
Hi Paul,
The cased one looks like ´Reimari´ by Tamara Aladin; the clear one´s vaguely ringing
a bell - but to no avail yet...  :huh:
http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/reimari-1465-aladin-tamara-en
Regards,
Dirk
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »
my sincere thanks Dirk for your helpful reply -  I must admit that Finnish glass is rather growing on me :)   I see that the colours mentioned for this design are 'clear', 'olive' and 'amber'  -  is the colour of mine supposed to be the colour of a Kalamata? - or is mine something else do you think.
Look forward to your attribution for the clear piece some time, if you do manage to 'run it down' .   thanks   Paul S.   

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
The clear one is a textured Candleholder from Dartington Glass, so it's English. FT195, designed by Frank Thrower in 1975.
Much under rated, I like that lightly mottled texture.

John

Re the colour of the Tamara Aladin vase, here's a few examples.   

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
....."  I see that the colours mentioned for this design are 'clear', 'olive' and 'amber'  -  is the colour of mine supposed to be the colour of a Kalamata? - or is mine something else do you think"........  thanks   Paul S.   

Hmmm... the designlasi.com are withholding information from foreign visitors. ;) They mention only those 3 colours in English, but in Finnish the same vase mentions 6 colours produced. In addition to those John shows in the picture, another "blue", darker I suppose.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
John  - thanks for the link re other colour examples of the 'Reimari' vase - very attractive.     From pics. of glass that I have looked at for these two designers, it wud seem that Tynell designs are textured (usually), whilst Aladin pieces are usually smooth - and although I'm sure this is not without exception, I must remember that for future, it might help.
I looked at the base of the clear piece - didn't see a 'D', and then forgot to look in the Dartington book :pb: - anyway thanks for that id.

px - thanks, obviously the factory weren't thinking of a Klamata when they chose the olive colour ;D, I wonder which of the colours are the rarest  -  and I guess from what you are saying we now must all learn Finnish!!     cheers             Paul S.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
"is the colour of mine supposed to be the colour of a Kalamata? "

Kalamata is a city on the Peloponnese, Greece. Kalamata olives are grown there. Just to clarify.

Suzy x

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
Suzy  -  thanks, you obviously have a good knowledge of Greek geography (been out with a lot of blokes called Jason eh? ;)    Apologies, I shud have made myself clearer  -  I was just drawing attention to the fact that olives come in two colours.     Dirk's reply indicated there were three colours for my vase i.e. clear - olive and amber, and since mine wasn't clear or amber, was jokingly guessing that maybe it was being likened to a Kalamata olive - since obviously it wasn't the standard pale olive colour.      There now  -  haven't I just confused everyone ;D (including myself).   cheers   Paul S.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »
Ok, I'm 100% sure I've seen and eaten olives in way more than two colours......

Paul does your Reimari vase have moulded concentric circles on the base? All mine did and a few other Aladin designs tend to too. :D    Anyway, so far I have only noticed these concentric circles on her designs and guess they may be a clue to which designs are hers. Bet not all of Aladin's designs carry them though....

John

Argghh, stupid me, there they are at the top of the page. Doh.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:02:44 PM »
Can't stand olives, never been out with a Jason - Adonis and Herucles (Herakles) yes - no kidding!  Even knew an Aphrodite!

Suzy x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand