No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tips on cleaning glass  (Read 2136 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Tips on cleaning glass
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
What is the best way to remove that milky coloured build-up that you sometimes get inside glass vessels?

Are there any other cleaning/repair tips that this novice should know about?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Tips on cleaning glass
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:24:15 AM »
It really depends on the sort of stain you have. If water has been left in glass for an extended period of time, it can leach alkali out of the surface leaving a frosted stain sometimes called glass sickness. Sick glass blooms are pretty much permanent, and the only way to remove the stain is to use some tool (i.e. a dremel or something similar) to remove layers of glass using a soft buffer and some polishing substance like Silvo or cerium oxide. See the third link below - basically only for the brave!

Or you may be lucky, and the stains will just be a build up of limescale, which can be removed with denture tablets or some sort of cleaning fluid with dilute acid.

You might like to work through the suggestions in these threads:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2912.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7724.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31297.msg169637.html#msg169637

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ipdglasspolishing

• Members
    • C18th / 19th century glass
    • UK.
    • ians-polishing-kits
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:41:16 AM »
Hi, Cathy is correct, the bloom can only be removed by polishing away the surface of the glass, cerium oxide is a ultra fine optical quality glass polish that will polish the mildest of stains but for stronger stains you need something a little more aggressive. Check out the link below, I guarantee success just check the feedback. :thup:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32634.0.html
Ian

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:37 AM »
at one time or another I've been through most of the periodic table in my search for chemicals that will help to restore glass that is cloudy/etched etc., and depending on circumstances you can achieve some sort of success with most of them.   Difficulties come when the glass itself is slightly 'eaten' - and then it becomes very difficult, and for pieces into which you cannot get physically are also a p-i-t-a.      I've just sent off for some of the proprietory 'Magic Balls'  - small copper balls that are placed into a decanter for example, with the item then being shaken - a kind of 'tumbler' effect.    Think I might also add some tin oxide/cerium oxide/Brasso to hopefully speed the process up.      Anyone else had success or otherwise with this method of using small balls - and no jokes please, this is not the cafe ;) - or have I just wasted my money.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:29:25 AM »
Snipped off copper wire will do the trick, it is a lot cheaper. Cerium oxide certainly, and a soapy suspension (fairy liquid or similar). Then close the vessel carefully, pack it into a thick layer of foam inside a plastic tube, and roll the tube on a proprietary machine at low speed for an average of 3 days. Check frequently.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:51:43 PM »
your description reminds me of the days when I did a little lapidary work, and this little machine would rumble away 24 hours a day downstairs, and keep the neighours awake at nights  -  but now I believe it is done in a fraction of the time in a sonic vibrator.     I don't know if I have the patience for 3 days, and anyway I no longer have a tumbler  -  must admit I was hoping it might work a lot quicker.    Cost wise, a tub of Magic Balls is only about Sterling £3.95, so not too bad.   Obviously, the heavier the 'balls' the quicker it will work, presumably, although there must be an optimum weight beyond which you shatter the glass ;D    Anyway, as I have now ordered the balls guess I must go ahead with the plan  -  anyone got the DT's and nothing to do for a few days ;D

Offline ipdglasspolishing

• Members
    • C18th / 19th century glass
    • UK.
    • ians-polishing-kits
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
Tumbling does give good results however small tumbling machines cost about £50 and ones capable of taking decanters and larger vases would be £90+.
Whereas I polished this vase this afternoon for fraction of that in about 20 minutes. :thup:
Before

After :hiclp:
Ian

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:51:51 PM »
Hi , just stumbled across a product that seems to work removing the staining that we seem to find on glasswork.
Its called Dr Magic double action foamer ORANGE CONTAINER BLUE TOP from the £1 SHOP in THE UK.

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 06:16:36 AM »
Thanks malcmat that sounds just my sort of price too!

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »
Hi i also meant to say be carefull when using this product it does contain  acid and does foam when in contacts with grease and carbonates. Pour on and leave for 15 seconds then rinse off with copious amounts of cold water.Try it on some not so important pieces to see the results.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand