No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina fish vase what sort of date???  (Read 2619 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Mdina fish vase what sort of date???
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »
Ive just purchased my first piece from mdina glass factory ive payed a preety penny and just wondered if my investment is ok?
i wonder if anyone might be able to tell me whether this is a fish vase? and what kind of date it might have been made?
Thanks for looking its fleabay number is 180497677029 thanks for looking dan :thup:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina fish vase what sort of date???
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Hi Dan,
I think the price was very good indeed, I love these Fish vases, even if they are quite distinctly not Harris shapes, they are a slightly later development of Fish, my personal speculation is that this shape might have been Dobson's influence, but I have nothing but a gut feeling to back this up.
I've got 3 with dates on - all '76. One has Said's signature, one Dobson's.
Normally I prefer blue to brown as a clour, but for some reason, in this shape the brown is absolutely stunning - far nicer to me than the blues. And I far prefer this triangular sort of shape the the rectangular boxes!

I think you'll be very happy with it when it arrives - photographs simply cannot do these beasts justice - it looks as if you've got a substantial amout of iridescence in this - I do realise that some of the shiney bits are simply reflections.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Mdina fish vase what sort of date???
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »
Hi Dan,
i like this one, i was watching, but didnt see it go. Good price.
I havent got this shape, i may invest one day, id be interested which label is on the base.
Cheers
Andy
 ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand