No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irregular wide brown swirled vase, opinions?  (Read 567 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Irregular wide brown swirled vase, opinions?
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »
Just received it, couldn't wait to ask your input. It's not a subtle piece, rather stands out between my other vases. The glass itself, where it isn't brown or yellowy swirled has a blue grey undertone. Also, there are small bubbles included in the glass about everywhere. The upper part is fused to a seperate base with very small brownish specks throughout the glass. No markings to be seen anywhere.

Measurements: It's 22 cm high in total, and at the rim 26 cm across at its widest point and 18 cm at the narrower point. The fused base is 2.5 cm high and 11 cm wide. Forgot to weigh it, but it's pretty heavy, thick glass.

I don't even know where to begin looking. The lady that sold it to me (in the Netherlands) told me she got it for her birthday 15 years ago (and didn't remember anything else, or whether it was new then). I've compared with photo's of the Michael Bang Tundra range for Holmegaard, but those look much clearer and neater. Also, I looked at Michael Harris brown swirled pieces, but this sort of shape is not what I can find. I think it might be a piece of studio glass - but it is unsigned. It might be a seconds piece, however, as there is a burst bubble in the rim.

Any and all pointers are welcome. The type of fused base, the style of the vase or the swirls - or just an artist or country it reminds you of - I really like to have an idea where to search next.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
Re: Irregular wide brown swirled vase, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
Thought I should bump this one and see if something else comes up.

A glass collector I showed this picture thought it might be German in origin. I have a bit of trouble finding my way in German glas, I'm hoping someone else has a few more resources to confirm or deny or give an idea of which glashütte to look at. Of course, pointing out why this vase is probably not German is helpful too!

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
Re: Irregular wide brown swirled vase, opinions?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:01:08 AM »
Bump... As I'm doing the 'brown coloured oktober display' at my window in my living room, I'm daily reminded that any attribution for this one is still very much eluding me.

Speculation on the characteristics are welcome (fused base, irregular shape, blue-greyish undertone of the 'clear' parts of the vase).

Astrid

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand