No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Genie of the lamp? Whitefriars knobbly lamp base?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
The Genie of the lamp? Whitefriars knobbly lamp base?
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
I bought these two pieces last week in a local charity shop - thrilled with the 'Olives' as I've been looking for one of these for a while now..the other a WF's knobbly has it's label which is a bonus.  My question is, in the Lesley Jackson Whitefriars book and other places I see these narrow necked vases described, (as are many Scandinavian pieces) as lamps.  Where they intended to be fitted with electrical neck sockets??? or used as candle holders ( :huh:).  

I have a few glass lamps but they are all fitted to take bulbs - but I've never seen a WF's one with a fitment!!!! :hb1:

Mod: More meaningful title added to attract Whitefriars folks :).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: The Genie of the lamp? Whitefriars knobbly lamp base?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:08 AM »
That i would say is a vase , i believe the lamps have smaller openings , where is Emmi ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
Mod - thanks so much for adding to my nondescript subject heading...lesson learnt :-[.

Hi Johnphillip , I'm basing my assumption 'lamp base' on page 138 of the Lesley Jackson WF's book.  From this I'm thinking my piece is  'a plain coloured' version  of pat.no 9612 which is illustrated in streaky versions.

It measures 24cm high and 51/4cm across neck...  which is why I'm wondering about light fittings.  It says they were produced between 1964 -72 and I have seen at least one of those flexible plastic lamp fittings that could have been manufactured as early as this.  Now I'm off to google, wf's lamp base with fittings!!!!  cheers steph

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
For some reason the 9612s are described in the catalogues as lampbases, although I have never seen one converted to a lamp.  Easy done though in fact I have a pair of Ruby ones which I have been considering turning into lamps.  Let's face it , they are heavy enough to support the fittings and a shade.  Think I may do it and put the finished result on my knobbly blog!!!  LOL!

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
Cheers Emmi - been looking at some of the Patrick Hogan photographs from the MofLondon..nice pics of lamps with shades, but none seem to be 9612's to my un-trained eye!  

ps Your blogs' brilliant  :hiclp: drool drool.... I once had a nice collection of streaky knobblies in a few of the colours but  hubs had an accident with the chest they were stood on... !!!!!  :cry:   It would be nice to show your ruby pair on your blog.  Lit perhaps? 

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
LOL!  When I get around to it............been on the "to do"list for a looooong time!

I think the 9612 was really a vase with the option ( as it has a fairly narrow opening) to convert into a lampbase............or maybe it was a term used by the workers to differentiate between that model and another....perhaps.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
Hi Steph your one has a slightly sloping top as do many of them,  not a problem as a vase but it would be no good as a lamp base . jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand