No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed glass cake stand - for Pamela :)  (Read 888 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
pressed glass cake stand - for Pamela :)
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
I bought this gorgeous cake stand for my Christmas cake -  it's absolutely perfect in my opinion.

Oh and a question ... it looks like a great big SPLAT of glass, so how would the edges be so wonderfully smooth if it is pressed?  Would it have been finished afterwards as well?

I've had a look round (though not through Marcus' cd yet) but found a vase of the same pattern on Pamela's site.  The vase was under unattributed in Figurines and Centrepieces, row 24 far left (numbered 06977).  I felt this cake stand was Czechoslovakian, so had another closer look with my magnifiying glass and lo and behold, around the middle of the centre of the base is marked CZECHOSLOV  :hiclp:
I will have to get some time this weekend and see if I can find it in Marcus' cd.  Pamela, if you didn't already have this, I hope it helps (if it is the same :-[).
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: pressed glass cake stand - for Pamela :)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
Thanks for this, Michelle - a beautiful star for the Christmas cake!

Cannot find an exact match in any of the catalogues, however, style, colour and shape are very Stölzle, Hermanova hut.

Yes, such heavy items with less or non-delicate decoration were finished by fire-polishing, I believe.

:)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »
Thank you Pamela :)

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: pressed glass cake stand - for Pamela :) Amber and Uranium green
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Well I've been having a good clear out on my week off and discovered this pedestal bowl which I've had for years.  I obviously like this pattern because I bought this way before the Christmas cake stand - this one is Uranium green and I believe the same - Stolzle perhaps?  this one is not marked at all and glows without the dark  :hiclp:
m

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
 :hi: Michelle, what a pleasing find in your own premises - yes, obviously the pattern meets your good taste! :D

I've looked again through the pattern books I have, and also 4 months later I cannot find an exact match, I'm afraid.

Is this green centerpiece also marked CHECOSLOV ?

Stölze made both green uranium and green non-uranium.

No definite, only probable attribution possible so far, sorry.  :-\

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »
Hi Pamela

thanks for looking  :)  No this one is not marked at all I'm afraid but is definitely the same pattern  - curious.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand