No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for Wrythen brown vase.  (Read 786 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for Wrythen brown vase.
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
This vase was acquired at the same time as the Monart green (possible ginger jar) - although I am really all at sea with an attribution for this piece  -  it might be any number of sources.   Nice (delicate) bubble controlled decoration, with wrythen twist  -  stands about 10.25 inches tall, and with a largish but not too circular ground/polished pontil mark.  I think it is the wrong colour for Webb - might it be Stuart, or possibly S. & W.,  so hope there is an expert available please - thanks for looking, and would welcome any opinions.    Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: id request for Wrythen brown vase.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:59:32 PM »
Dare I say it? the colour in the base is similar to some Webb's pieces I have,have you had a very close look at the base Webbs marks are sometimes very difficult to see,now watch Nigel tell me I'm wrong,again ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for Wrythen brown vase.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »
thanks Keith  -  I have scoured the base area for marks, and I'm convinced that this piece has never had any whatsoever.   I just thought it seemed a little dark for Webb - but who am I to say.         Forgot to say, by the way, that there is fair amount of base wear, so I am thinking somewhere in the 30's (1930's that is ;D).   cheers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand