No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple swirl vase with copper leaf wrapped round  (Read 878 times)

Offline turquoisepetal

• Members
Purple swirl vase with copper leaf wrapped round
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for an id on this most unusual vase. It is about 10" high and has a lovely flared rim. The pontil is concaved and  polished. What strikes me about this vase is the way the copper or metal in entwined around the waist.

I think it could be Loetz or Daum but I am not sure. I just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this piece.

Thanks

Sam 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Purple swirl vase with copper leaf wrapped round
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
Hiya,
I don't think it could possibly be either Loetz or Daum - contemporary Romanian I reckon - I'm sure this sort of thing has been discussed and identified here before. Unfortunately, your pic does not blow-up enough to be able to see it properly - don't ask me for advice about anything to do with cameras or techno-stuff, though!
Are there any maker's marks at all, anywhere?

It looks as if it could be related to the jug discussed here:-

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33916.msg183529/topicseen.html#msg183529
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline surfersam

• Members
  • Just found a much needed passion for glass!
    • anglo creative
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
Hi

I took the pic using my iPhone because the vases is still in a shop. It is not signed and I have looked all over it. I just have a feeling that it is early 20th century. The glass is slighty opaque and the copper or bronze does look like it has some age to it. The shop in question has put 15pounds on it. I do know that he stocks quailty pieces as I bought a seguso bowl from him today.

Sam 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »
I really, really, really think it's quite contemporary, honest.

I don't know anything about mobile phone stuff either. I don't use one more than a couple of times a year, but the techno stuff is more to do with the size of the image.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
I do know quite a bit about cameras. I had to email the photo to my email. The photo will automaticly resize the image to around 97kb which is slighty small for the forum. Sorry I am rambling again. So if it is contemporary how can you be sure? And do u think it is worth the money they want?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »
The colours look contemporary, the style is contemporary, the satinised finish looks contemporary, the thickness of the glass in conjunction with all of that looks contemporary. The coppery/metallic bit looks contemporary - it can easily be made to have an "aged" sort of finish to the metal bit - heat will oxidise it for a start.

I would imagine it might have cost more than £15 to make it, taking into consideration years of training of the the glassmaker, the cost of the fuel, the premises the equipment and the materials.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
No I do agree with you after looking more closely. I was not doubting your opinion, just you sometimes wish it was a loetz or a daum piece and then I could pay the rent this month. Thank you 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand