No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Mdina?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Is this a Mdina?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
John, my problem is I'm still up at 3.30am!

My one like this is 6" tall, it has a round polished pontil mark, no written mark. My amethyst one is 6.75" tall, and is a different shape at the base - it tapers into a smaller section which it stands on - a flat polished base, no written mark.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline tengel61

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:35:45 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome and yes, I am from the USA. This vase measures 6.25" high by 5" diameter.

My mother has a collection of glass she no longer wants and it's too large for me to take it all. I'm only keeping family heirlooms. She asked me to sell this rest on eBay. I'm having a great time learning all these things about glass. Lots of work though. I'm sure you know ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
If you're listing this on ebay, be sure to advertise it in the uk - this is where the market for Mdina is, currently.
I'm afraid I've noticed some amazing pieces of art glass go for absolute peanuts in the states recently!

oh, and Welcome!  :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
>:D

Oooh, I just have to get my oar in about something.
Nemmie, it's a Mdina mark, not a signature, though in Michael Harris' hand is quite unusual. There are a great number of different "hands" used to put the Mdina mark on the base of pieces - though either Michael Harris' or Eric Dobson's writing are unusual, very desirable and do pinpoint an early date.
At one point I had counted up to 25 different styles of writing, then I got cross-eyed and dizzy and gave up.

Ermm okay, as I said not my area I as just confirming that it said Mdina as it took me a while to decipher mine when I got it. Although the style of writing on my one piece is considerably less legible than this piece.

I really don't like this kind of thing but as it was a present I have kept it in my cabinet and it does look nice. Thanks for the lesson though, all knowledge is useful. :)
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
 :thup:

Ah, sorry, I was just teasing a bit - a signature to me, means a signed individual's name - a specific atrist. Sometimes you do find artist signed pieces - which are quite a bit more special than those which are simply marked with the studio/factory name. Didn't mean to upset you!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline tengel61

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »
Thanks Chopin for the info. I will post it in the UK too!

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
:thup:

Ah, sorry, I was just teasing a bit - a signature to me, means a signed individual's name - a specific atrist. Sometimes you do find artist signed pieces - which are quite a bit more special than those which are simply marked with the studio/factory name. Didn't mean to upset you!

No problems, you didn't upset me. As I said all knowledge is useful, I am interested to learn about all areas of glass and using the right terminology is always important.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand