No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whence comes this Cocquille copy.  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
whence comes this Cocquille copy.
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »
Only because I do occasionally look at the picture captions, do I know this might be loosely called a copy of a Flygsfors Paul Kedelv 'Cocquille' vase (which apparently means 'shell like').   I say possibly, because this one seems to be a little over the top - with frills - when compared with the the more simple lines of those in the books.  About 235mm tall, and there is a fair amount of wear on the flat base, so it wasn't made that recently.   An attractive cintrine colour - and needless to say not marked.  I hadn't realized that the term 'Cocquille' was in fact given to a series of his designs, the common factor being that they were free form, and usually with a white base cased in colour and then cased again in a heavy crystal.
Might this be a 'generic' Murano offering?    Grateful for anyone's thoughts,and thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: whence comes this Cocquille copy.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »
I'd stick to "Czech citrine free formed bowl" and forget everything you ever read about Flygsfors. There is only a nodding relationship but they're not not speaking terms.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:12 AM »
thanks Ivo, and I'm more than happy with the thought that it is most probably Czech.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »
Now that one looks like it's Canadian, i.e.) Chalet or Lorraine. (What shapes did Altaglass do?)

Carolyn

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »
Now that one looks like it's Canadian, i.e.) Chalet or Lorraine. (What shapes did Altaglass do?)

Carolyn

Hi there -- That was what I was thinking too -- but most times I am wrong anyways....LOL.  But here are some pics anyways to refer to (??) maybe (??)

***** http://www.antiquespider.com/detail.asp?id=226991&name=Chalet%20Amber%20Art%20Glass%20Centerpiece

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/glc.jpg
http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/140/092/619/XOy0.jpg

;)  Just guessing......
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:25 AM »
For all it's worth (not much, I know  :-[) I also thought 'Canadian' when I saw it...  It's very reminiscent of the pieces I've seen at the flea market in Quebec -- practically every stand had one of these. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
my apologies ladies, I nearly forgot to thank you for your replies.  It is a little hot at the moment, and as always I have umpteen glassy things on the go....then there's Wimbledon - football - going to work five days a week..so when most of this subsides I shall come back to this piece and search you suggestions of Canadian. thanks again. :)   Paul S.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 12:35:21 AM »
my apologies ladies, I nearly forgot to thank you for your replies.  It is a little hot at the moment, and as always I have umpteen glassy things on the go....then there's Wimbledon - football - going to work five days a week..so when most of this subsides I shall come back to this piece and search you suggestions of Canadian. thanks again. :)   Paul S.

Oh those pesky jobs. They really do get in the way don't they. Don't worry Paul, we still love you!

Carolyn

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:05:10 AM »
The base looks more Czech than Chalet. Compare Paul's with the one in Rose's link to see what I mean. Definitely not Altaglass.

Giovanni from Montreal is another possibility. For me, a toss up between that or Czech.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand