No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cut glass celery with ground pontil mark  (Read 977 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
cut glass celery with ground pontil mark
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
just by way of interest really since this comes very hard on the heels of my very recent post of similar item for washing grapes, and which also had a ground/polished concave pontil mark.
quote yesterday from Lustrousstone.........I suspect there are blown celeries too. The difference is probably a money issue; grapes were dear and for the upper middle and upper classes. Celery was cheap and fashionable...
This one is certainly for celery....beautifully cut  -  rings like you can't imagine, and is an absolute text book description for a quality celery......... bowl resting on a short knop stem on a spreading flat base which has a cog-wheel pattern.   Cut with oval lenses and oblique slashes - and a toothed cut on the top rim.   Remarkable to find two similar pieces with a concave pontil, after the hordes of pressed ones.    I don't think the working classes could have afforded this one though, fairly high quality, but oddly let down by the foot which is really out of true.  Diameter one way is 87mm, and the other is 83mm  -  why so much variation on an otherwise quality piece?   sorry the base pic. rubbish :-[

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: cut glass celery with ground pontil mark
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
4mm was probably within the acceptable circularity limits. Seconds were minimised, as they had to go for cullet, and nobody expected perfection as they do today.

The wealthy and wealthier would have bought/grown celery too.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: cut glass celery with ground pontil mark
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »
thank you Christine  - in fact this one is a real beauty - a ring to die for.   And so I think I will cease acquiring Celeries now as I have a good selection.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand