No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker of these round vaseline salt shakers?  (Read 425 times)

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Maker of these round vaseline salt shakers?
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
I just know I saw these online a week or two ago while looking for something else but now I can't find them.  Can someone help me out.  I don't think they are that uncommon.  I don't have a clue if the lids are original - the shiny ones don't fit very well, too tight.  The second from left is quite old though is a bit loose.

Can't tell from the pic but the one far left is opalescent.  The three right of it are all uranium glass.  At first I thought it was one of the inverted thumb print pieces but I don't think so.  Then another piece with similar pattern called this Fenton Coin Dot, but I have looked at Fenton's patterns but don't think it could be.  I've also searched on hobbs thinking one of them was Rubina Verde in color pattern. 

Thanks in advance.

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Maker of these round vaseline salt shakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »
Hello

I would put my money on these being Hobbs, Brockunier's Polka Dot aka Inverted Thumbprint.  The shape is similar to their 226 shakers.  Note that 226 refers to the shape not the pattern.  One caveat is that the peach blow and coral examples of this shape shown on page 81 of the Bredehoft Hobbs book look like they have two piece lids.  If you have this book, you might want to note that they are incorrectly captioned as No. 228 shape instead of 226.

Sid 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:29:08 AM »
Thanks Sid,
I saw this page a day or two ago that had a shaker listed as "Rubina Verde" which kinda had me thinking Hobbs Brockunier but I wasn't sure.   The page didn't seem to attribute a maker.  That page is here..http://www.thelampworks.com/salt_shaker.htm ..(3rd picture into the page).  Is that Hobbs Brockunier Polka Dot?  I'll have to dig through my books.  I have a variety but don't know if I have anything dedicated to Hobbs.
-Buck
Pithy sig withheld

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:40:33 AM »
Buck

Looking more closely at your photos it looks like your shakers have a raised ring just below the lid.  If so, they are not Hobbs' 226 shape.  Hobbs made all these colours but so did a few other companies.

Sid 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:46:04 AM »
Ah, I see that now.  Another clue anyway.  Thanks!
Pithy sig withheld

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand