No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 60's/70's? amethyst sweet/candy jar, origin? / maker?  (Read 629 times)

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
60's/70's? amethyst sweet/candy jar, origin? / maker?
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:01 PM »
im not 100% sure but i dont think it is english, any information is welcome, Thanks in advance, Robert.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 60's/70's? amethyst sweet/candy jar, origin? / maker?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
hello Robert.........you may well of course be correct in your thoughts, but what is it that makes you doubt it's Englishness? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
Hello paul, I may be 200% wrong here with not knowing a great deal about glass, 1st of all the pattern in the glass looks similar to a borske? globular vase the colour i think maybe more like scandinavian? and being a sweet/candy jar maybe american? so on that basis i aint got a clue, really just guessing  :huh:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
hear what you say Robert, but my reason for commenting was to encourage you to do just what you have done  -  i.e. to think if it reminded you of anything - think why you have those ideas, and generally stir up the little grey cells :).   Try to remember to give a size, and ideas of base wear don't go amiss.       Don't think the Czech Borske factory produced that shape (and colour is probably wrong anyway)  -  doesn't look right for Scandi, and don't think States.   Might be Italian possibly, could even be Chinese   Anyway, now we have kicked it around a bit, I'm sure an expert will tell us exactly what it is.   It looks like an inexpensive tourist piece.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
thanks paul, my problem is I lack the knowledge and over the past several years I have only used Ebay as a reference point, and am finding now that all this glass i have purchased in the past is not what i thought it was :pb:, and rather than making myself sound more stupid than i am, i would prefer not to comment for that reason :-[  and since finding the GMB 2 weeks ago i see that the peoples knowledge here is far superior to anything I have ever seen on ebay with all those false attributions, but i suppose there is one good thing about this, iam learning, allbeit very slowly and maybe the hard an expensive way, i think what i need is books, books and more books, if i carry on the way i have been over the past years then i will soon become a  :or: :or: glass expert at this rate, lol, many thanks for putting me right, I do appreciate all comments whether good or bad, Many many thanks Robert.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:32 AM »
The vessel looks like some that are made in Italy. If Ivo is around, maybe he can say whether it is the Empoli area. That was my first idea when I saw the piece. I found a similar Italian "apothecary jar" on eBay (#370388162438), but the seller wrote that it had "Made in Italy" written on bottom.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:46:05 AM »
I agree with Anita that Empoli seems likely.

A good way to learn is to read here, even if it's stuff you think you may not be interested in. Buy books (and CDs) and read them (take Millers with a pinch of salt). Go to antique centres and antique fairs and look at and handle stuff you can't or don't want to afford.  Look at the good online reference sites. Don't be afraid to make an educated guess; you were right datewise I think. Vast quantities of decorative glassware seems to be been imported from Italy during those decades and beyond.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »
I would just like to say thanks to everyone here, im already hooked on this GMB so im sure i will pick up a thing or two from you very clever people & could anyone recommend a good book or two on 20th century glass?
Thanks Robert.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
I would also go for Italian.  And...as a side note...these were sold in Boots (used to be Boots the Chemist back then I think) in the late 1970's.  How do I know that?  Because my Mum has collected glass for years and years and I she's got this type of thing in various hues and designs.  I'll have to take a pic for you.  And...I bought her one from Boots when I was a kid.   :hiclp:

I seem to remember Mum's one is tangerine.   :)

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand