No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: wedgwood candlestick  (Read 2754 times)

Offline harvey27

• Members
Re: wedgwood candlestick
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
It's very hard to tell what sort of quality this is from the photograph, but I'm sure I've had sets of things like this come into a charity shop where i was working and the quality wasn't up to that of Wedgwood.

i saw a glass which i think some have referred to, which was a cheap version...
this candlestick i have is very much wedgwood. im sure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline harvey27

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
Sorry, are you asking for help, or giving information?? From this quote you appear to know more than most. If this is a factual assertion, perhaps you would be kind enough to tell more and, if possible, give the source (Thanks) :) 

The pieces that were not 'signed' (acid etched backstamp of manufacturer) would have had labels that have long since been seperated from the vessel and therefore are identified by the known ranges and colours. The amber colour made by Kings Lynn and Wegdwood is called Topaz and is totally different from your candlestick, which has a prevalance of yellow on my screen - and not the rosy-amber that is referred to by Chopin-Liszt.

Neither the stem construction, nor the colour are synonimous with known Stennett-Willson designs, so it would be very good to know more. It's always good to gain new information  :) ;) :)

Many thanks, Nigel

probably a little of both asing and giving info.

the source are from people who actually worked at kings lynn glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Do you have a macro setting on your camera? (normally a wee "s" beside the flower close-up thing)  - or even just using the flower thing, get an image which is in focus?
A better photograph would allow us to assess the actual quality of the piece.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline harvey27

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
Do you have a macro setting on your camera? (normally a wee "s" beside the flower close-up thing)  - or even just using the flower thing, get an image which is in focus?
A better photograph would allow us to assess the actual quality of the piece.

Ermmmm i do but it does not seem to be working...i need a new camera..sorry about that.

Offline harvey27

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:56 AM »
Sorry, are you asking for help, or giving information?? From this quote you appear to know more than most. If this is a factual assertion, perhaps you would be kind enough to tell more and, if possible, give the source (Thanks) :) 

The pieces that were not 'signed' (acid etched backstamp of manufacturer) would have had labels that have long since been seperated from the vessel and therefore are identified by the known ranges and colours. The amber colour made by Kings Lynn and Wegdwood is called Topaz and is totally different from your candlestick, which has a prevalance of yellow on my screen - and not the rosy-amber that is referred to by Chopin-Liszt.

Neither the stem construction, nor the colour are synonimous with known Stennett-Willson designs, so it would be very good to know more. It's always good to gain new information  :) ;) :)

Many thanks, Nigel

maybe if i could catch up with stennet wilson, i could ask him myself.... ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
I presume, though, you could tell us if the rim is simply polished flat, or if it is bevelled as well?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »
this candlestick i have is very much wedgwood. im sure.

Without intending offence, why bother asking if your glass is by a specific factory only to claim knowledge that it is when others present convincing arguments that it isn't?

All factories involving any degree of handmade production make occasional one-off items - but then many factories involved in such industries also 'borrow' elements of design from other factories.

So, with this in mind, whilst the bowl and foot of your candlestick might bear a passing resemblance to Wedgwood production, it does not instantly make it by Wedgwood - especially when so many other elements are working against it (finish, colour, shape, overall quality of design).

Even if it had many elements the same as Wedgwood production, and only differed a little, you would still have to take into account the degree of 'borrowing' that went on in the glass industry. For example, consider the 'Helix' candlestick linked to on the first page of this thread (http://ronaldstennettwillson.com/Candlesticks_Helix.html) and then compare it to the earlier 'Amager' candlestick designed by Jacob E. Bang for Kastrup Glas...

Offline harvey27

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
Without intending offence, why bother asking if your glass is by a specific factory only to claim knowledge that it is when others present convincing arguments that it isn't?

All factories involving any degree of handmade production make occasional one-off items - but then many factories involved in such industries also 'borrow' elements of design from other factories.

So, with this in mind, whilst the bowl and foot of your candlestick might bear a passing resemblance to Wedgwood production, it does not instantly make it by Wedgwood - especially when so many other elements are working against it (finish, colour, shape, overall quality of design).

Even if it had many elements the same as Wedgwood production, and only differed a little, you would still have to take into account the degree of 'borrowing' that went on in the glass industry. For example, consider the 'Helix' candlestick linked to on the first page of this thread (http://ronaldstennettwillson.com/Candlesticks_Helix.html) and then compare it to the earlier 'Amager' candlestick designed by Jacob E. Bang for Kastrup Glas...

sorry i did not want to appear to be a "know it all"

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
Don't worry Harvey, I think you may have unintentionally poked at one of our collective 'sensitive spots' (asking advice and then appearing to dismiss it). I would like to add that I imagine this was not your intention.

With typed messages it is impossible to pick up on the subtleties of communication we are all used to, body language, facial expressions, etc. Easy to get the wrong end of the stick.....

John

Offline harvey27

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
Don't worry Harvey, I think you may have unintentionally poked at one of our collective 'sensitive spots' (asking advice and then appearing to dismiss it). I would like to add that I imagine this was not your intention.

With typed messages it is impossible to pick up on the subtleties of communication we are all used to, body language, facial expressions, etc. Easy to get the wrong end of the stick.....

John

thank you john, it would seem a sensitive spot.
i was just interested in what people thought, its great to discuss things and learn from each other.
cheers john
best wishes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand