No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther Glass Amethyst and Gold Set (images resized)  (Read 7459 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Walther Glass Amethyst and Gold Set (images resized)
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
I cannot believe how beautiful these are, the colour is exccellemt and the pieces heavy/solid. Does anyone know any more about them, their designer, is the larger vase or liquid holder? what material the gold panels are covered with? etc. I know they are Walther c1933 but wondered if anyone had and other specific info.

Mod: Images resized & attached for heartofsklo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Walther Glass Amethyst and Gold Set (images resized)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
No idea who designed these, but they appear to be inspired by 1920s Czech pieces using the 'Oroplastique' acid etched & gilt technique. Take a look at Moser's Fipop pattern for comparison.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
What a gorgeous colour they are! they look to be the same colour as an unknown maker 3-piece trinket set probably from the 1930s which Dirk very kindly re-homed with me some months ago.

You say you know they are Walther 1933 - have you found them in a catalogue somewhere? It might give me a pointer where to look for my mystery set.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
What a gorgeous colour they are! they look to be the same colour as an unknown maker 3-piece trinket set probably from the 1930s which Dirk very kindly re-homed with me some months ago.

You say you know they are Walther 1933 - have you found them in a catalogue somewhere? It might give me a pointer where to look for my mystery set.

Well,the catologue is here http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Walther-1933.34+B6YmFja1BJRD0zNCZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MTM1NCZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD0zNCZkZXRhaWw9.0.html and as I was sold them as 1930's I am assuming (probablywrongly) that my pieces come from around that time aslo.

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
Vases & lidded boxes in this pattern from the 1933 Walther catalogue on Glas-musterbuch.de:

http://glas-musterbuch.de/Walther-1933.34+B6YmFja1BJRD0zNCZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MTM1NCZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD0zNCZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

:)

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Snap!

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »
No idea who designed these, but they appear to be inspired by 1920s Czech pieces using the 'Oroplastique' acid etched & gilt technique. Take a look at Moser's Fipop pattern for comparison.

Wow, Mosqui, they are very similar in their effect arent they. While searching for "Moser Fipop", I found another set of 6 glasses exactly the same as mikne that had been sold, they also were said to most likely be Walther & Sohn. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:34:42 PM »
Thanks chaps, I'd looked at the catalogue on Glas-Musterbuch but the design on the banding looks different to that on yours. I've added a closeup detail to the original post above from heartofsklo's larger image to show what I mean...

My trinket set's not in there either, nor any of the other Walther catalogues shown and Pamela still has them labelled as unknowns... hence the hope you may have a different source. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »
Thanks chaps, I'd looked at the catalogue on Glas-Musterbuch but the design on the banding looks different to that on yours. I've added a closeup detail to the original post above from heartofsklo's larger image to show what I mean...

My trinket set's not in there either, nor any of the other Walther catalogues shown and Pamela still has them labelled as unknowns... hence the hope you may have a different source. :)

I have found some pieces with exactly the same decor as my pieces on ebay.de. they are named as Moser with a question mark. This is obviously a grey area, lets hope we can get to the bottom of it soon.

Also, this website (just above the "King of Glass" title) http://encyclopedia.sprinko.com/index.php?title=Moser_Glass states that several companies made lower quality copies and that two American glassmakers made copies, calling them "woodland" and "deerwood".

They say that Moser are still producing some of its flipop designs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand