No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther Glass Amethyst and Gold Set (images resized)  (Read 7460 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Walther Glass Amethyst and Gold Set (images resized)
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »
Cathy a side topic is fine with me. In Andy's defense if he used as a reference the 1998 Glass Digest by Bill Walker he may have picked up the name (at that time) Woodland. When the Wheeling Decorating reference was published in 2003 the glass collectors found the correct name Wheeling called this etch which was Fox & Hounds. Now I am assuming that comments made were pertaining to a comparison of like treatments or influence of same were referring to molded treatments & my observations were & are simply that both treatments named are not molded patterns, they are acid etches & animal, mythical animal, hunt scene, figural, etc. acid etches or silver overlay patterns abound in many US manufacturers & US decorating companies (chiefly Lotus & Wheeling decorators) treatments. Were there pressed/molded treatments in this genre, yes, however my comments were directed specifically to "Deerwood" & "Woodland" which are acid etches not molded treatments.

I concluded this when reading the comments "These inspired a rash of derivatives, some of which mathced Moser's quality, while others were cheaply pressed , produced by companies including Inwald, Brockwitz and Walther & Soehne, whose catalogues illustrated them into the mid-1930s. Several American glassworks produced copies of Fipop, between 19227 and 1933, including US Glass and Paden City Glass variously naming it Woodland and Deerwood, featuring typical Bohemian scenes of stags, foals and rabbits in woodland (p. 81)." I was referring to the "cheaply pressed" statement versus acid etching just to make this clear.  Ken    

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »
Just for reference, some photos for comparison.

Although my Dad's amber ashtray is not marked I believe it to be by Moser as the frieze is exactly the same as a Moser goblet shown on page 173 of 20th Century Glass by Judith Miller (not the book with the same name by Andy McConnell). The general quality is also good.

Looking at the earlier catalogue link, the purple goblet may have been made by Walther & Söhne, the quality certainly is nowhere near as good (nice as it is) as the ashtray.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »
This photo is just for fun, a lovely image looking from inside out.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
I found this Bonboniere in the Flea Market this morning...it is the Walther one picture in the 1928 catalogue

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand