No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A mixed bunch?  (Read 7935 times)

Sklounion

A mixed bunch?
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 05:24:27 AM »
Thanks for the nice images, Adam.
With my less than perfect knowledge, I would have these down as:
image one: Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov, (formerly Josef Inwald) from @ 1958, which became part of Karlovarske Sklo Moser (Not signed and usually just a paper label),
the second item, Chribska, and the third, unknown, could be any company who made this type of art glass.

My own view of Della's pieces (always with the possibility of making a complete prat of myself) is that like your item, these are most likely Teplicke Sklo/Karlovarske Sklo Moser.

See this item from KSM's "Rhapsody" range, designs originally by Frantisek Zemek, 1958, for Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov (part of Borske Sklo following the break-up of Sklarny Inwald narodni podnik) complete with KSM label.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7411788447

regards,

Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 09:56:59 AM »
Good Point Marcus
I spoke somewhat out of turn in generalising to such a degree. Apologies.
I have seen many like the signed one that Della found on Ebay UK.

I have also been following, along with Terry, the type of Chalet which looks like Murano for some years, which has appeared both in UK and US, occaisionaly signed and occaisionally with a label but often just "suspected" because of colors, sizes and the flamboyant forms. Laura has confirmed some as "not Murano" on the Murano board.

Now comparing Della's with Adam P's first item above - I would have sworn that they were from the same maker !!!  Both would seem to have flanges alternately springing from above then below, twisting towards the base. Allowing for size difference the similarities seem overwhealming to me !

His 2nd item (pics 3&4) I can confirm is Chribska as I have now seen labeled examples.  I call this the "lips" bowl for shorthand and the labeled ones are Czech Republic so post-1992.

Adam P's Item 3 (pics 4&5)
Colors look rather muted for Chalet.
There aren't many makers of this style of glass as far as I know but I am becoming more aware that some German makers have produce in the proto-Murano style too particularly in this brown + green color combination. I am thinking not only of Jackmann for WMF but suspect there are others.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 10:07:28 AM »
Interesting thread and I feel I should add a bit about Chalet. Very hard to research as I have discovered. I do have one piece and it is signed with an acid stamp "Chalet Canada"  Michele Blais gallery is a wonderful site, but I have noticed things on there that I know are not Chalet. The last time I looked, there was a piece of Viking listed. So caution should be the word. Terry

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
Just saw this item on eBay UK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7416439415

anyway, it fully endorses what Marcus has been saying - I would have sworn blind it was Chalet had it not had a Czech label on it  :?

Sklounion

A mixed bunch?
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 05:34:08 PM »
Hi Pip,
One point about Wayne's label, on this item. This is an original importers' label, not a factory etikett.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"

One point about Wayne's label, on this item. This is an original importers' label, not a factory etikett.

Ok so does that mean that it was imported by a Czech company but not necessarily manufactured by one?  Because the listing implies that it IS a Czech piece of glass.  It also looks a lot like mine which is photographed on a site attributed to Chalet that someone earlier on in this thread said had glass on it that definitely wasn't Chalet!  Confused? Yep totally LOL

Offline David555

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 07:04:46 PM »
Hi

Marcus thanks for your response - I sidestep the web link now (I take glasswizard's point) and Stephen's (glass dealer) opinion.

I trust you on this subject more than anyone; I know you are the top researcher in post war Czech glass – that has taken you into researching similar glass (process of elimination).

My item #2 Chribska – agreed and I love it – it was £5.00 and Stephen has many shapes, what presents for people!

Item #3 all I can say is the base is finished off exactly the same as #2 and in my very humble opinion if it's not Murano (looks like it's not Chalet - I am not calling anything Chalet now without a label or mark), it is Czech - the quality is there (but I am often wrong LOL)

Pip your photo is very informative, thanks - I think Marcus is saying the piece in your photo is most likely Czech made, but has an importers label (like G Hardy with Scandinavian glass), who knows it may be Sklo Union or Crystalex (just examples) - the importers label is actually quite fascinating.

Now to my first item, Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov sounds great to me but like Peter I feel confused as in my opinion it looks like a scaled down version of Della's vases. Now I know one has the Chalet mark link so are you still dubious about Della's Chalet attribution or my piece as a comparison, I have to say your Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov photo makes a stronger argument now I have had time to look it over.

Thanks everyone - I am taking this real slow and careful

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

A mixed bunch?
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 10:20:13 PM »
Pip wrote:
Ok so does that mean that it was imported by a Czech company but not necessarily manufactured by one? Because the listing implies that it IS a Czech piece of glass. It also looks a lot like mine which is photographed on a site attributed to Chalet that someone earlier on in this thread said had glass on it that definitely wasn't Chalet! Confused? Yep totally LOL

Hi Pip, sorry if my message was not clear.
Wayne has a piece of glass, of Czech origin. It was imported by a British company, hence the label. I am very confident that Wayne's piece is NOT Chalet.

What Terry (glasswizard) was saying is that the site which has been quoted as the premier site for Chalet, allegedly has several erroneous attributions, and therefore, should be treated with care.

I can say from personal experience is that Wayne is knowledgeable, and takes the greatest care with attributions, and if documentary evidence is given, is amongst the most scrupulous of dealers in rectifying bad information.

Whilst his piece of glass only has an importers label saying it is Czechoslovakian, this is a familiar form from Chribska.

Regards,

Marcus

Sklounion

A mixed bunch?
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
Adam wrote:
Now to my first item, Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov sounds great to me but like Peter I feel confused as in my opinion it looks like a scaled down version of Della's vases. Now I know one has the Chalet mark link so are you still dubious about Della's Chalet attribution or my piece as a comparison, I have to say your Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov photo makes a stronger argument now I have had time to look it over.

I need some clarification here. Are you saying Della's vases are marked , acid-etched whatever, as Chalet?

Jan Kilian has an unidentified bowl, executed in a similar manner on his site, which he dates as 1970's, but no maker. Is it just me with a Zemek catalogue, thus wanting to see a dream piece, or am I seriously deluded?
I cannot publish images here for breach of copyright reasons.

regards,

Marcus

Offline David555

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 11:24:48 PM »
Hi

I have had a look at the picture in the Zemek catalogue and it is a dead ringer for Della's vases and my own :shock:

Without a mark on my piece and with new evidence provided I will indeed attribute my little vase to Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov as you first said Marcus.

Thanks as ever

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand