No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Newbie.Is this vase Borske Sklo?  (Read 679 times)

Offline vintagelass

• Members
Newbie.Is this vase Borske Sklo?
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
Hi
New user of this marvellous resource.Have begun to sort out the 'bargain buys' glass box, which has got completely out of hand.Picked this piece up recently in charity shop; from the little I know, appears a bit Borske like.Weighty, cased piece in green/white, with the glass falling into 'folds' at base.Pontil mark to base. Any opinions would be welcome.Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Newbie.Is this vase Borske Sklo?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:20:17 PM »
Welcome to the board.

It may well be Czech but that's not the only possibility. A photo of the base and the height would be useful.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vintagelass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
Thanks for your help John.The vase is approx 18 cm high x 38 cm circumference.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:12 AM »
Hi:

I'd say Czech and hedge my bet with either Skrdlovice or Chribska. Jindra or Robert will have the the final word.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »
Thanks David, I do not need the final word! But I recall seeing a similar vase discussed a while ago on GMB. The concave polished base precludes Skrdlovice and Chribska is a good possibility, though I do not think there was an exact match on one of Jindra's catalogues, he may have more to say ... Chribska seemed to be the best guess with the similar one to this early in the year (or late last year) without documentary evidence I seem to recall ...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline vintagelass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.Just managed to get hold of Lesley Jackon's '2oth Century Factory Glass' book, from the library, and having read the chapter on Cribska, thought the vase was probably by them.Still not clear on the issue of pontil marks; am I right in thinking Cribska pieces don't generally have them? Any ideas on date would also be appreciated.
I now think I have other pieces by this factory in the 'bargain box'; and I have'nt even started on the Scandi collection yet! All far too exciting...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand