No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Plaid Glass Handkerchief Bowl - Maker???????  (Read 1315 times)

Offline sixpence

• Members
Re: Plaid Glass Handkerchief Bowl - Maker???????
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »
Okay, I've looked at most of Toots Zynsky's pieces that have come up for auction the past 5 years.  That is the only thing I've seen so far that is as thin and delicate as this piece is.  Perhaps a student of her's did this or it's an early piece.  Everything else is much too thick to compare with the piece pictured.  Thanks for the lead.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:30 PM »
Right - I've got why you're interested in Toots then - but she really is world class, museum quality, the absolute tops in this sort of thing.
Your piece is still very competent. Fusing and slumping of glass doesn't require as much complicated and expensive equipment as molten hot glass work does - a lot of artists can set up on their own to do it, quite easily.
I think it highly unlikely there is a connection between the two artists, beyond the use of filaments of glass - and your piece uses far thicker bits!

I'm afraid a 90% adjustment from £10,800 might not be nearly enough! I think your piece, unless accurately attributed to a big name, should come in at under $100.
umm, what's ASA?
Abbreviations don't always help when they mean different things to different folk in different areas!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sixpence

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
ASA is AMerican Society of Appraisers.  ANd most of Zynsky's pieces bring nowhere close to $10,000.  They generally sell for around $2500-3500 at auction (atleast over the past 5 years) and many of her pieces haven't gotten bids at auction.  It takes the right person at the right time.  Even appraising one of her pieces, given the prices I've seen this morning, $10,000 is on the extremely high side.  I start from where prices cluster for similar pieces.  And many of her pieces that I've found this morning (and I've looked at about 25-30 pieces) are not nearly as intricate as the one  you reference.  I'll give you it's probably not one of hers since it's not signed and it seems she signs everything, however, it is definitely in the style of and may well be a student of hers since she is American and this piece is here in the States.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »
The piece in Bonham's went for 10,800 pounds, not dollars.  :thud:

However, just because they both use filaments does not indicate any connection at all  between the two artists - the techniques needed for Toots Zynsky's work are far different to simple slumping and fusing - this vase you have could have been made by my next-door neighbour in the little kiln he has in his conservatory.
Plaid is a natural subject to choose for the use of fused glass sticks.

Suggesting an unproven and speculative connection between the artists would only bring your house into disrepute.

( >:D Perhaps I needn't remortgage to get hold of a bit of Toots' work after all, if the Bonham's price was an anomaly)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
Sue's right; the techniques used are simple but producing the initial piece (before slumping) would have been fiddly and time-consuming. It looks like the sort of piece produced for a degree show, but not necessarily by a student working for a degree in glass working.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
I think you could well be right, Christine - perhaps something made to demonstrate technical competence.

I did have a look for finished auctions on Toots Zynsky, prices vary enormously - as they should do, with the size and complexity of the piece. The one sold at Bonham's was absolutely massive - 50 cm wide, and an incredibly complex piece. I only know about it because I was sent the catalogue.

One in the link below achieved $10,000. (american dollars, not £ this time)
 http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=WY2C
Anyway, Zynsky would appear to be a bit of a cat among the pigeons in this thread, which is about the hankie thing, not great art.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand