No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual blue glass vase with over applied slipware decoration  (Read 834 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Unusual blue glass vase with over applied slipware decoration
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
The glass is blue and the outer sides have an etched look and feel. The lovely decoration on the vase is to one side and is raised, wedgewoodesque in style. The floral decoration to the neck of the vase is all around. The base is flat and un-etched with a slight convex dip to the center.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Unusual blue glass vase with over applied slipware decoration
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »
I think this is what is called "Mary Gregory" style decoration... a search of the board for Mary Gregory should find more examples.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:48:01 PM »
I think this is what is called "Mary Gregory" style decoration... a search of the board for Mary Gregory should find more examples.

Thanks Anne, just from looking around on the online auctions, its a minefield regarding Mary Gregory glass. The majority on ebay seem to be modern by comparison to mine, quite heavily applied decoration on what looks like old styled blank glass pieces.  I doubt many are actually original pieces after reading some online accounts about Mary Gregory glass.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »
I agree with you, that's why I said *style* :) I see a lot of this type of decoration around and they can't all be originals, I'm sure!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »
It is extremely unlikely that Mary Gregory painted anything like the pieces bearing her name.

See here http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/History%20of%20Mary%20Gregory.htm and http://www.trinitycollections.co.uk/pages/mghistory.html

Your piece strikes me as perhaps early 20th century rather than late 19th because it is frosted and has no gilding. Truitt and Truitt in Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 show a Mulhaus-decorated pair of MG style vases in frosted blue that they date to 1900. I could be talking tosh of course.

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
It is extremely unlikely that Mary Gregory painted anything like the pieces bearing her name.

See here http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/History%20of%20Mary%20Gregory.htm and http://www.trinitycollections.co.uk/pages/mghistory.html

Your piece strikes me as perhaps early 20th century rather than late 19th because it is frosted and has no gilding. Truitt and Truitt in Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 show a Mulhaus-decorated pair of MG style vases in frosted blue that they date to 1900. I could be talking tosh of course.

I was just about to mention that I had not realised the obvious that my vase is frosted and none of the others I hae seen so far are. Sometime the blantantly obvious is simply as it says, too obvious for some reason ;-)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »
Looking around further, I notice that some people refer to similar styled pieces as - Florantine Cameo Bohemian Satin Glass. Is this simply another name for the the same Mary Gregory associations, although all pieces given the Floratine name are indeed satin/frosted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand