No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow uranium/vaseline creamer: Angus & Greener, 1867  (Read 918 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Yellow uranium/vaseline creamer: Angus & Greener, 1867
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:03:18 AM »
Hi all
I have not been buying much lately, but this little gem just came my way from England.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/greenercreamer1867.jpg
(Mod: HTML code removed as it doesn't work on the board)

It was advertised as a 'Greener Creamer', but I needed to track it down further.  I found the pattern in Jenny Thompson's book, black and white photo #8 on pg. 57 of her book.  In looking at the registration for that piece (on pg. 14), it is listed as registered pattern #209161, registered June 26, 1867, parcel 8, for "SUGAR BASIN (LOZENGE PATTERN)".  The pattern looks like interlocking American footballs or UK Rugby balls, with a raised dot pattern on top of the football pattern.  That is the same pattern shown on the upper portion of this creamer.   At some point in the past, I had written in my Thompson book for this registration number that I had also seen a vase with this design.  My creamer does not have a lozenge registration mark, however.  The vase was also in yellow uranium/vaseline glass.  I have not yet seen a sugar basin in this pattern.  Just wanted to share my new find!  Yes, the piece is flint glass and has a nice bell tone.

(modified):  I also just found this pattern in a large dish on pg. 76 of Colin Lattimore's book, ENGLISH 19TH-CENTURY PRESS-MOULDED GLASS.  

Mr. Vaseline Glass
(Dave Peterson)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Yellow uranium/vaseline creamer: Angus & Greener, 1867
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:09:24 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Nice one Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Yellow uranium/vaseline creamer: Angus & Greener, 1867
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
Hi David

As soon as I saw your creamer I knew I had one in my garden shed where I keep a large collection of clear pressed glass items which I pick up cheaply at fairs.

I cannot remember seeing a sugar bowl in the pattern either .The creamer I have does have a large date lozenge inside the base for 1867.

I see quite a lot of of the older greener items in clear pressed glass but very seldom in vaseline glass, I think finding a matching sugar bowl for your creamer will be as hard as finding the matching saucer for you Gladstone vaseline cup and I am sure there must be a vaseline Peabody cup and saucer some where   

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand