No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Slightly uranium glass heavy vase frosted snowdrops ID = Lausitzer Glas, 1969  (Read 1565 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Slightly uranium glass heavy vase with frosted snowdrops
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
I'd agree the flowers are lily of the valley.
I love (expensive) lily of the valley perfume - Chanel is vile. Mother wore it, her handbag was saturated with it, she used to get out a manky, stinky bit of paper tissue from the depths of the bag, spit on it, and wipe my face with it.
Utterly disgusting. :-X
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
quote from Sue..........'she used to get out a manky, stinky bit of paper tissue from the depths of the bag, spit on it, and wipe my face with it'.    It could have been worse, she might have spat on your face first, then wiped you with a piece of tissue :).   Not being a gender bender I have no knowledge of the intricacies of scent  - can you actually pay mega money for Lily of the Valley  -  I thought it was considered old fashioned and cheap. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
I can only wear extortionately expensive perfumes, my skin changes them. Calvin Klein's eternity smells like parma violets on me.  :-X
The one I liked was "Muget de Fragonard", which I obtained from the Fragonard distillery in Grasse.
However, I don't wear perfume at all these days. I'm incredibly sensitive to smell and I'm no longer trying to cover up alcohol fumes!
I'm sure mother spat on my face first sometimes.

What on earth is a "gender bender" and why would that give you knowledge of the intricacies of scent?  :huh: :huh: :huh:
There may be two (official) sexes, but gender is a continuum.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
I agree that Chanel perfume is vile,my Great Aunt swore by Chanel No.5 which I thought was awful.The mens fragrances are really good by Chanel,Tom Ford who works for Gucci does some lovely scents.
I remember as a child old ladies wearing Coty L'aimant which I swore they were trying to cover up other smells,and I swear some men think that Ralgex is a mens aftershave! lol
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
Sue, where have you been all your life..............Gender Bender   'a person who looks or behaves in a way regarded as androgynous or as typical of the opposite sex'  -  thereby, I assume, having a knowledge of, or need for, such things as scent. ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
 ::) I do not recognise derogatory terms, Paul.  :P

And where were you in your history lessons? As recently as the turn of the last century, ALL fancy bought toiletries were for men. Womenfolk had to make do with home-made soap made from stinky tallow.
Antimaccassars had to be invented to save the furniture from men's proprietary hair goo!
Men have used perfume since Roman times or probably long before!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
Humans have been adoring themselves with decoration (and no doubt perfume) for as long as we can tell, plenty of evidence in the archaeological record.

One of the first uses of glass would have been to store perfumes within. No good storing it in something porous.

No smell as good as black pepper, apart from lemon if you ask me. ::)

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand