No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perfume bottle for id  (Read 802 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Perfume bottle for id
« on: September 26, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »
Found this little bottle today and wonder if anyone has an idea on the maker?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skillkraft/5026144442/

It's about 120mm tall and 80mm wide.

Also, are these real canes used here? I don't know enough about the manufacturing process yet to understand how  these things are fused with the glass but these appear very 2 dimensional as if painted - are they painted on representations of canes?

~Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Perfume bottle for id
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
Canes are made by "bundling" together all the different colours in the desired pattern in a great big block - so that it's sort of like a stick of Blackpool rock, with the pattern running through it. It's then heated to fuse it all together, then, at the right time, it is very quickly pulled out to stretch it, like toffee, and the pattern becomes small. I think there may be more efficient ways of doing it now, but it used to involve the glassmakers running away with one end of it!
The thin sticks (like thin Blackpool rock) are then cut into tiny sections - each of which is used individually.

In a bit like this, thin sections of cane have been marvered onto the surface of the hot gather of clear glass, then it has been further blown, which stretches the cane slices out and incorporates them with the body.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
Canes are made by "bundling" together all the different colours in the desired pattern in a great big block - so that it's sort of like a stick of Blackpool rock, with the pattern running through it. It's then heated to fuse it all together, then, at the right time, it is very quickly pulled out to stretch it, like toffee, and the pattern becomes small. I think there may be more efficient ways of doing it now, but it used to involve the glassmakers running away with one end of it!
The thin sticks (like thin Blackpool rock) are then cut into tiny sections - each of which is used individually.

In a bit like this, thin sections of cane have been marvered onto the surface of the hot gather of clear glass, then it has been further blown, which stretches the cane slices out and incorporates them with the body.

Thanks for that - most helpful.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:15 AM »
 :sun: Hi Yesvil- might be on the right track- please read my post re Dartington vase as it bears some similarity with your perfume bottle- http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28864.msg156436.html#msg156436.
Hope it helps, regards Carol
Carolglass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:39:10 AM »
:sun: Hi Yesvil- might be on the right track- please read my post re Dartington vase as it bears some similarity with your perfume bottle-http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28864.msg156436.html#msg156436.
Hope it helps, regards Carol

Hello Carol - Thanks for that.

It's a striking resemblance so I'm sure they must be family. I don't have any marks on mine but maybe it's a second as the stopper is a bit wonky. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand