No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ladislav Dostal, engraver, where did he work before Australia?  (Read 7774 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Ladislav Dostal, engraver, where did he work before Australia?
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:03 AM »
I have a couple of Ladislav Dostal engraved crystal slabs.  Both have a strong Australian theme.  The aboriginal one is dated 1970 the other 1971.  The mystery to me is where he learned his skill - which is very good - see the aboriginal piece.  The blurb at the auction stated he was born in Czechoslovakia and moved to Norway before coming to Australia in 1974.  I have also seen another slab representing a Perenti (a large Australian lizard) and dated 1971.  So it seems to me that he was probably here before he did the works.

I am wondering if anyone knows of his work in Europe, and where he might have trained to achieve the standard he reached.  Certainly there was no art glass trainng in Australia pre 1974 or so.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astroboy

• Members
Re: Ladislav Dostal, engraver, where did he work before Australia?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
Hi Ross, I recently acquired my second Dostal piece (at an op shop, but a bit damaged). I've done a bit more digging on the internet and found an ad for Hardy Brothers in the SMH of 27 March 1973 (p11) which says: "... Ladislav Dostal is one of the few remaining craftsmen in the ancient art of glass engraving and sculpture. Now resident in Australia, Czech-born Dostal went to Norway as a refugee, where he learnt the skills developed in his native land. He carried out many commissioned works including engravings for the Norweigian Royal House and the National Theatre ... prices range from $45 to $350". Although the piece from the Berry Collection catalogue (which I think you have) says he moved to Australia in 1974, the National Archives has a record of a Ladislav Dostal arriving in Australia (with his family) in July 1968 from Norway, which would better match your 1970 and 71 dates. There are also two 1969 photographs of Mr Dostal and his work under the heading: "Immigration - Migrants in employment - Glass - engavings in glass by Oslo craftsman - Mr Ladislav Dostal, Adelaide, SA". I think his work is great, as is that of other "Australian" glass engravers such as Anne Dybka (England), Helmut Hiebl (Austria) and Miki Kubo (Japan). Hope this info is of use. Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Thank you for that Andrew.  I in fact also got information from Stephen Skillitzi - who knew Ladislav while he was in Adelaide.  Love to see examples that you have.  I assume you live in Australia - where did you pick up your items?

Ross

Offline astroboy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
Hi Ross. I live in Sydney and picked up my first piece at auction, but I have to find it first before I can show you (LOL). The second piece was at an op shop, but it's a bit bashed around the edges and the design is of a deer and not as interesting IMHO as some of his other work. There have been a couple on eBay which I bid for but was not successful - maybe you were? I think both cut and engraved glass is currently greatly under-rated when you consider the amount of craftsmanship that went into them. Will post pics when I find the other one. Regards, Andrew

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
I've got a paperweight/sculpture signed L.Dostal or Oostal.  I've never found out anything about it, but it's not an engraving.  Could it be the same person??

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8417.msg70601.html#msg70601

I am not a man

Offline astroboy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »
Hi Max. I've had a quick look at my most recent purchase which is an engraved paperweight/sculpture like those Ross shows. Looking at the signature block it does seem to be the same: all caps, a full stop after the first L, a mark (like an apostrophe) between the A and the L at end of the name, and a 7 without the cross bar that is often found in European figure 7. The 2 photos in the Australian National Archives file show Mr Dostal with a number of the engraved paperweights/sculptures on the table in front of him, and in one what may be more complex pieces - perhaps a cut vase and what looks like an engraved picture in a frame. The SMH ad (which I don't have a copy of) had an illustration of a complex engraved piece called "Ned Kelly" for $220. I would certainly think that a craftsman like Mr Dostal could easily turn his hand to other complex arrangements like the one you have. Your piece appears blue, while mine are both greenish. So where did you get yours from Max? With a date of 72 you'd imagine it was made after he came to Australia. The other interesting issue might be why you see so few of them. Presumably he would have produced a large number of items, as suggested by the Hardy Brothers exhibition in 1973. Apart from those Ross has I've only seen two on eBay in the past 12 months or so and in quick succession (which often happens). Perhaps we might now have solved a bit of a mystery. But I haven't been able to find any information apart from that from the early 70s. Might Steve Skillitzi be able to tell us more? Regards, Andrew

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
Ladislav was still working in Adelaide in 1975/6.  Here follows a quote from Stephen Skillitzi
"Ladislav Dostal was a co-worker with me at Symons Glass Co. adelaide 1975/6.
To a friend recently: "I in fact worked with Ladislav Dostal at Symons Glass Co. at Glenside S.A. in 1975/6 before I took over the ceramics Dept. from potter Milton Moon. His work was facetted and engraved/sandblasted abstract and realistic images onto thick plate glass, often glued up into extravagant sculptures.... I would like to see them again and give him his due recognition.... but alas where are they all??"  We did not discuss his original training but we respected each other's glass creations and occasionally shared projects.

AND LATER
Without checking I presume this is THE message from the message board....Ian (and now Ross) Mckenzie???
" Hi Stephen , i remember him well , have a bit of his work or my wife has , he had a few sons i was at school with one , they would be around , he was a proud man and you would have been shown his newspaper clippings and so forth he kept of his work ,find  his sons would be the course i'd take [Only one "Dostal" in the Adelaide phone book.],i thought he went back to europe , ive a horse he did  on a mirror , your able to do things like it these days ,its not that difficult ,
good luck with it , theres a lot we will loose if it is not documented , no one after me will know what went on as i see it being lost , cheers Ian"
Thanks for this and any future info you can provide.I am Ccing this to a scholarly colleague/artist who also is interested in Dostal's contribution.

I also include a piccie of my Goanna/Perenti by him

Ross

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
Ross, thank you so much for all that great information!  Hard to believe that you've discovered who made my paperweight/sculpture after 6 years....think that MIGHT be a new GMB record!  Thank you!  :D  It's really wonderful that this information and our photographs are all kept here for posterity at least, and some of L.Dostal's work is documented.

:hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

I am not a man

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:19:57 AM »
Can we see photos of your Dostal pieces sometime soon please, Max.

Ross

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
There are pictures in the link Max has posted above Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand