No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina? amethyst jug  (Read 688 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Mdina? amethyst jug
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
I can't find this in the book or in fact anywhere.  What I can find in Mark Hill's book is ".. and some colours such as an amethyst purple or cobalt blue in its unmodified form were only used as final colours for a short period of time in the first year of production".  And I have found references to jugs being made out of hours by the Boffos but I haven't seen anything like this one.  Or is it much later than this?  But then again I can't find any pics.
I am pretty certain it could be Mdina because the base and main body  of the jug is very similar to a Mdina vase/carafe type thing I have - the one with the Maltese cross on the prunt.
Any thoughts. It is very curiously made.  Where the handle is attached at the top it looks like the rim of the vase was cut and folded back on itself. Where the handle meets the vase it look like a trail of glass from the handle has then been brought back round where it attached, and curls on itself under the handle and is finished off there.
 And the whole handle sits angled slightly if you look at it from the reverse viewpoint.  It is 7 1/4" tall and the base is 3 1/4" wide. 

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.  Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Mdina? amethyst jug
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »
 :clap:

Unlikely to be found in any book - but it looks perfectly right to me for a Boffo jug from the early period.
The carafe-y bit is the right shape, the seediness of the amethyst is right, the silver salt bits look right, the round, polished pontil mark is right for Boffo, and the short neck with bell-shaped base is right for early Mdina.
I've got a couple of handle-less cocktail jugs which are "squished" at the top to make the lump-trap and pouring bit.
The most "common" jugs are little ones, with textured sides, (not really that common at all) but I do have a big bottle with a square sort of handle. They don't turn up too often.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »
oooh thanks Sue.  I'm really pleased.  I had got to thinking it may be a more recent production since I couldn't seem to find anything.
thanks again :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »
I think your photos are showing it to be a bit bluer than it really is - is it not a slightly brownish shade of purple?
Later purples are very definitely a purple sort of purple.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
yes I try and take pics in daylight but they always seem to have that bluey daylight tint then :)
It is very much an amethyst not purple and definitely is not a blue purple ;D  LOL It's difficult trying to convey hues and shades since we all perceive colours differently , but I think we're on the same songsheet.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand