No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass bead necklace -- date? origin? (Jablonex?)  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Glass bead necklace -- date? origin? (Jablonex?)
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
I'm sure this will get us thrown into the cafe...  ;D

I don't have the social skills required to stay in a room with 5 other strangers... the hostel idea is out.  (I'm a self-proclaimed princess...  I need comfort...  and some privacy).

I can get a room at the Paragon Hotel for  £105 (for 3 nights), or for £108 (3 nights) at the Aston Conference Centre.  I found some cheaper accommodation, a little further out, but the problem is that my plane from Krakow lands in Birmingham at 10:00pm Friday night...  not all places allow check-in so late.   :'(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
Many Youth Hostel hostels have private rooms, they really have come a long way in recent years. The Youth part of the name is no longer always that appropriate.

I'm not planning on wearing any beads to the National..... ;D

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
having looked at internet offerings in the way of obsidian jewellery - must admit I would have gone with Cathy B and jinxi  -  re the suggestion of obsidian.   There are necklaces of faceted obsidian on the webb - the fractures shown in Anik's breakage look consistent with the hand forged arrow heads made from obsidian (also available on the internet), and as a natural glass it does come in a variety of shades......black....mahogany obsidian......snowflake obsidian.
As Ivo has pointed out, Obsidian is mineral-like, but not a true mineral because as a glass it is not crystalline, and its fracture is indeed 'conchoidal'.   However, if Anik's fracture is conchoidal also, then this indicates it may well be obsidian, and not a man made glass.   Do we dare ask ourselves if.... 'a self-proclaimed princess' ... using pliers would have the strength to crush a piece of man made glass ;)      Peasants in their millions throughout the Third World spend their entire days making artifacts from natural materials to sell to the West, and the simple act of faceting some not too hard material is well within their reach, using treadle lathes etc.    Think of some of the jade carvings from the far east.
There now, I've bored the pants of everyone  -  but at least I have a boot sale to go to in the morning. ;D
P.S.  I assume the reasoning behind drilling half way from each side jinxi, is to avoid break out.?

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
No idea why Paul, I just know it happens, presumably its the easy way, and I have come across many beads where this has obviously been done.  You know if it has been done badly and doesn't meet up particularly well if you are stringing them.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
let me rephrase that. The fracture is concoidal so the material is glass. Obsidian is a glass too. For a brief introduction to glass beads check here:
http://www.beadscz.eu/en/index.php?page=homepage
and then check these in particular
http://www.beadscz.eu/en/index.php?page=katalog/tin-cut-beads/t-c-sun-shape-beads/4-mm/451-69-301-4mm-23980
sorry for long link.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 05:00:40 AM »
Ivo, thank you for the links!

I've taken a look, and wanted to point out that these beads http://www.beadscz.eu/en/index.php?page=katalog/special-offer/151-95-006-3x5mm-23980-13702 , though they have a different cut and shape, are the same colour and have a very similar effect by the hole as my beads do. 

I believe Ivo is right.  My necklace is glass.  And it's Czech glass.  ;D

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
If I may, I found these beads on Aukro -- they look just like mine, and they are, according to the seller, from Jabloneckého skla. http://aukro.cz/item1279184062_brousene_sklenene_perle_300_ks.html

;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 10:54:56 AM »
 :-[ Starting a glasses thread in the cafe.......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
thank you Sue.......is that thread as in stringing. ;)
Late last evening, desperate to go to bed so I wouldn't be up late this morning, I did in fact find a web site showing faceted beads similar to Anik's, and described as Obsidian.     I tried to copy the link to include with my note, but when pasted it looked a bit like Bill Gates salary, so I deleted, and went to bed.   Finito.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
Oh Paul, you stubborn fellow...  Didn't you see Ivo's links, or my last link?  The beads are the same -- and they're Czech-made glass.  Don't go busting a poor Polish girl's happiness.  >:(

:angel:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand