No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wondering when WMF REALLY stopped making Ikora?  (Read 643 times)

Offline scoutshouse

• Members
Wondering when WMF REALLY stopped making Ikora?
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
Hi there!
I came across a set of 6 wine glasses, one of which still bears a WMF sticker.
I'm a little confused about when WMF actually made glass tableware.
The colors and style do not seem as old as the bulk of Ikora examples on Google and elsewhere.
There is a opaque yellow ring under the (clear) body of the glass, a white opaque stem and an opaque orange base.
The colored portions have the texture of Ikora.
I would say that they appear to be in a simplified Memphis Style, which would date them at around the 80's.
The sticker is clear, not paper.
What do you think?
Thanks for your help.
This is one of the best sites for glass I've found, so Thanks!.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Wondering when WMF REALLY stopped making Ikora?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:56 PM »
'Ikora' glass proper ceased production in 1954, but I believe they produced other glass for quite a while longer.

After they stopped manufacturing their own glass they outsourced production to other factories - I think the bulk of it was produced in Poland.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
WMF stopped making glass in 1984, after 100 years.  After that they outsourced all glassware to Zwiesel - and I think they still do. Even if Zwiesel is producing in Turkey and Poland, they also produce in Germany. We're talking about table ware, NOT Ikora which is a special range of art glass from the 1930s. After Wiedmann, the man responsible for Ikora, came back from imprisonment in France some time in 1948, 1949 - they tried to revive the art glass operation at WMF but it was short lived. He left for Glasgralhütte, and the old firm stopped art glass altogether.

Offline scoutshouse

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »
This all makes total sense, thanks.

They don't look like "Art Glass" - and could definitely be taken for Polish glass mimicking more distinctive contemporary glass.

I've walked by them many times, and just yesterday decided to check out the sticker. The WMF confused me, bc they aren't that beautiful, and
I knew Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik to be outstanding and much older than these look.

So, thanks!

Cool.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »
WMF produced a wide variety in different materials, have stacks of their catalogues except Ikora  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand