No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question about broken glass in a heart-shape  (Read 3534 times)

Offline jalmada

• Members
Question about broken glass in a heart-shape
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
Hello,

I am a paranormal researcher and find myself coming to the experts about a particular piece of evidence from a site we are investigating. We typically debunk claims of the paranormal before we assign any "label" of paranormal cause or origin to any particular piece of evidence or story.

A recent case was at a bar/restaurant named "Beermans" and there is a legend of a heart-shaped break in a glass that reputedly was of paranormal origin.

A photograph of the glass (locked in a cabinet we could not open to get better images of) is provided in the link below:

http://paranormal.ghost-rider-investigations.com/mediagallery/mediaobjects/orig/3/3_dsc_0040.jpg

I have a number of questions with regard to such evidence:

1. The story relates how a bartender was working and the glass mysteriously fell of it's own accord and then was found with a mysterious heart-shaped break in it. Causes not-withstanding, given the picture provided above, is it possible for a glass to fall and break in this fashion?
2. Can this be done as a hoax (based on characteristics of above photo)?
3. Note the tape on various parts of the glass. Does this indicate the stresses the glass was exposed to in a fall and would these cracks support the notion of a typical fall for such a glass?

I'm not ascribing paranormal causes to this photo. The goal is to establish normal physical processes and what it takes to create such a break as seen in the photo.

I did not see the glass that fell out anywhere near the display, but will find out if that piece still is around.

Appreciate any informed responses about this query.

Thank you,

Jon Almada
Founder - Ghost Rider Investigations
Shingle Springs, California

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Question about broken glass in a heart-shape
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:51:15 PM »
It would need sharp close-ups of the edges of the break to detect if it had been cut and thus faked, which is possible. Also a glass maker/engraver should be able to see that if they could view the glass.

It is also quite possible that it broke in this way naturally due to the stresses present in the glass and the pattern of impact that made the hole. I presume the tape merely hides additional cracks?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:50:27 AM »

Hmmm- Interesting.  I do not know, but sometimes glass does break in weird ways.  I see you also Do have a Web-site....

It would need sharp close-ups of the edges of the break to detect if it had been cut and thus faked, which is possible. Also a glass maker/engraver should be able to see that if they could view the glass.

I agree with frank too..
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
My guess would be either a fake, to draw customers to the bar, or a lovesick person with a diamond ring sat and 'doodled' a heart on the glass (pretty much like people with other sorts of 'sick' do on tube train windows  >:( )  The barman doesn't notice the glass, but next time it's washed in hot water, or maybe accidentally dropped, surprise, surprise!  The heart-shaped piece drops out!  Spooky!  (NOT! >:D

On the other hand, you could say that, given an infinite number of bar glasses being broken every day throughout the world, a piece of any shape at all might break out of one!  :24:   
Leni

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »
Interesting...  but I'm wondering why the owners did not unlock the cabinet and let you take a better look at the glass.  Might they be 'afraid' of the truth coming out?  Hmmmm.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »
Seems more pareidolic than paranormal.

Hamlet: Do you see that cloud, that's almost in shape like a camel?
Polonius: By the mass, and 't is like a camel, indeed.
Hamlet: Methinks, it is like a weasel.
Polonius: It is backed like a weasel.
Hamlet: Or, like a whale?
Polonius: Very like a whale.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
Sorry, myth:
... next time it's washed in hot water, or maybe accidentally dropped, surprise, surprise!  The heart-shaped piece drops out! 
Likewise, when you see in a film or on telly a circular piece of glass being cut out of a window with a glass cutter. Complete rubbish, it is next to impossible to (well, very hard and it takes ages just to get a poor result) to cut a piece out of a sheet of glass leaving the original sheet otherwise intact. It would be even more difficult to achieve this in a rounded vessel like a drinking glass. The opposite is easier, leaving a circular piece by cutting away the rest (you end up with lots of small useless pieces).

To cut circular holes in glass a circular diamond tipped hole cutter is usually used.

John

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
I disagree, with a little practise, it is very easy with the right tool to cut a perfect circular hole in flat window glass while in the frame. It takes seconds to cut, a sharp but gentle tap and it comes out. Of course for film they probably use some trickery too, cut after the star places the cutter, glazier comes in and makes the cut and tap, holds the cutter in place as star retakes position, roll the cameras and the star pulls the piece of glass out. The tool I have does not have the suction device used in films but almost as easy.

This video has a hole cutter with sucker but cutting out a circle rather than a hole. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T_sb-tPdx4

Principal for a hole is the same except you don't waste the glass outside, being puttied in the frame keep the glass firmly in place for removing a hole..

The skill comes in applying just the right pressure on the cutter as you only get one chance. If you do not score the glass to the right and even depth you will probably break the pane. If you try and cut a second time it is also likely to lead to a break. I have also seen a glazier cut a hole in a pane by eye with a normal cutter, impressive! He used a sucker to crack and pull the circle out of the hole.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
It strikes me that the bulge near the top of the glass would have encouraged the crack to be this shape, the bends in it will have halted the stresses of a fracture as it is formed.
Heart-shapes are not the same shape as a heart anyway.

Our brains use stored experience to interpret the images we see, it's absolutely normal to "see" non-existant things in random shapes. It's what our brains DO - make sense of the world around us in the easiest way possible .
Hence "mother theresa" being seen in toast etc.etc.etc.
There is a specific area of the brain which detects faces - which is why anything with features vaguely in a similar position to eyes and mouth is interpreted as a face. (a nose is not essential)

Nothing strange about it at all. I'm sure I've seen this shape appear in broken glass before. Just didn't bother paying much attention to it, because it's just such a logical shape of crack because of the bulge.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »
It strikes me that the bulge near the top of the glass would have encouraged the crack to be this shape, the bends in it will have halted the stresses of a fracture as it is formed.

I thought that too, Sue!  ;)

BTW, I once found the image of Mother Theresa in a box of raisins! :o  In fact, I found loads! :24:

IGMC  :pb: 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand