No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old cut glass jug with staples ID: Cut by J. Hoare & Co. "Wheat"  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Old cut glass jug with staples ID: Cut by J. Hoare & Co. "Wheat"
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
Can anyone help me identify the maker of this lovely old cut glass jug.  Its had a repair job done in the distant past, with 9 metal staples.  Needless to say it doesn't hold water any more, so the repair was done not for functional reasons, but for other reasons.  I know this type of repair has been discussed in the past http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5386.0.html but wasn't too sure where to post.

The jug is quite large and heavy.  It has alternating panels of large and smaller star cutting and either a leaf or feather shape. Mitre cut pattern underneath the spout. The metal staples help secure a crack which starts at the top, but the applied handle is not affected, even though the crack goes underneath.  It curves downwards and just runs above the base, before curving upwards, ending halfway up the jug.  The staples can't be felt on the inside, so don't go all the way through, and apart from one drilled hole which can clearly be seen, some sort of glue has been used to fill in the rest.  It feels surprisingly smooth on the inside.   The repair is quite sturdy, and although the piece weighs nearly 1.5kg, it can be lifted safely by the handle.

It has alternating swathes of pattern which swirl diagonally.  Its sharply and deeply faceted with large and smaller star cutting and these alternate with either a leaf or a feather pattern.  It also has tiny mitre cuts below the spout. -The applied handle is a shape which was usually found more after 1860, and has triple diamond cuts with a
lovely flat piece for the thumb.  It has what I believe to be a 12 point hobstar base, with deep cut four sided diamonds.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF0722.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF0727.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF0733.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF0724.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF0731.jpg
Any ideas or suggestions as to origins/maker would be much appreciated.
TIA  :)

Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Old cut glass jug with staples
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
Fantastic!  :clap:  I love it!  Staples and all! :rah: 

The lovely cutting on the base, as well as the faceted handle and the little cuts under the spout all look to me as if it's a quality piece, and I would really love to know the maker! 

What a lucky find!  I'm very  :mrgreen:  :kissy:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:35:28 AM »
Isn't that gorgeous, and obviously precious enough to someone for them to have it repaired.

The American Cut Glass Association might have some information - yours probably isn't American, but they might be able to point you in the right direction?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
Thanks folks for your comments :)  I'll post it on the ACGA as suggested and see what they say.
Apologies for repeating myself in my first post  :-[
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
Very kindly identified having contacted the Brilliant Cut Glass Pattern Search website, maintained by Greg Randall, as being cut by J. Hoare & Co. from Corning, NY, c.1880s-1890s in a "very uncommon pattern named "Wheat"."  :hiclp:
Anne E.B

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
 :hiclp: :rah: Well done, Anne!

I'm assuming J. Hoare & Co. were responsible for the cut, but that the blank would have been another company?

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Old cut glass jug with staples ID: Cut by J. Hoare & Co. "Wheat"
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »
Can anyone help me identify the maker of this lovely old cut glass jug.  Its had a repair job done in the distant past, with 9 metal staples.  Needless to say it doesn't hold water any more, so the repair was done not for functional reasons,

Beautiful, love it with the staples on it.  :hiclp: A reminder how delicate glass is.  Gives it that Shabby CHIC look - Love IT !!

You can use it to "Store your Thoughts in" --
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
:hiclp: :rah: Well done, Anne!

I'm assuming J. Hoare & Co. were responsible for the cut, but that the blank would have been another company?

You can use it to "Store your Thoughts in"--

That's my understanding.  Ivo describes Hoare as "...the oldest cutting shop in the US..."  ("glass fact file a-z").

It does have that lovely shabby chic look to it with the staples.  Amazingly enough, the repair is really secure, and the jug (weighing 1.45kg) can safely be lifted by the handle :o, but I'm not going to tempt fate too many times :X:

As to storing my thoughts  ;D  I think its going to stay empty for a l-o-n-g time :24: :24: :24:
Anne E.B

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Old cut glass jug with staples ID: Cut by J. Hoare & Co. "Wheat"
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:40:31 AM »
J. Hoare was the the first of the Corning, NY area cutting shops, Corning being a hotbed for US cutting operations prior to & during the American Briliant period, however technically speaking Stiegel Glass in Manheim, Pennsylvania was the first cutting & engraving operation in the US. Stiegel operated his glassworks from 1763 to 1774 which predates J. Hoare by 90 years as Hoare started his cutting operation in Brooklyn, NY in 1853.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand