No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue vase with clear protrusions, Aseda perhaps?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Blue vase with clear protrusions, Aseda perhaps?
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »
It's not quite my area (but intriguing enough to buy anyway) - I have the feeling it might be Aseda because of the use of these clear glass protrusions reminds me somewhat of the Aseda Björn vases. So far I haven't been able to find this exact model, but I hope someone here can confirm my hunch that it is Aseda, probably 1950s-1960s?

I didn't bother to measure it, since I assume the pattern is obvious enough, but if you need them to confirm, please let me know.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
Re: Blue vase with clear protrusions, Aseda perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
I've measured it, it's about 18 cm high, about 16 cm wide, 4.5 cm wide across at the base. As the base was felted when I bought it, there isn't any wear visible (but it has some ancient looking dust - hard to remove - rubbed in between the protrusions, so I don't think it's very recent).

Maybe Swedish or Aseda is the wrong area to look in - any other thoughts or comments?

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
This vase below probably only adds to the mystery. There are stylistic similarities between this one and yours, but what is most striking, to me, at least, is that both pieces seem to be the same shade of blue and have the same gradation of colour. I've been reliably told that my vase isn't Czech, which leaves Scandinavian. I see another similarity between your piece and the Aseda decanters: the final layer of glass that doesn't cover the whole piece. Any Aseda lover out there?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove/Unknown?pli=1#5496911937898044338

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Astrid, maybe a silly question but...  has the inside of the neck been ground or polished so a stopper would fit?

John

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Not a silly question at all, John. I don't have many decanters myself, I tend to go for vases mostly, so it's hard to compare or to be sure, but the glass structure inside doesn't feel different from other areas of the vase. The opening (4 cm wide) curves and isn't at the same width long enough for a stopper, I think. There is no indication visually or by touching the inside that a stopper has every been there or was intended to go with the piece.

And thanks David for pointing out the similarities especially with the encasing layer not covering the entire piece. That's indeed an interesting characteristic. Between Czech and Scandinavian I contemplated German as an origin as well, but I have looked at lots of German glass in the past year and nothing remotely similar has crossed my line of sight. I'm glad that my hunch that it might be Scandinavian is at least shared.

Astrid

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
By coincidence, I just found a good prospect (I hope): this particular vase might be German, Gral glas, by Konrad Habermeier.

I noticed this one when I was browsing this site: Mod: link removed as it's carrying a trojan drive by download, website owner has been notified and link will be restored once the site has been cleaned & checked

(scroll to the bottom). This collector is not always accurate with his attributions, but he does have a lot of German glass.

Anyway, the similarity I noticed was how the blue changed colour from dark at the top towards lighter at the bottom, and the way the clear encasing wasn't covering the entire piece.

So I searched for a bit online, and I found another that had a few similarities (blue from dark to light, patterns in clear encasing): http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5373714

I have seen some other examples from Habermeier in the 50s where he made patterns in encasing clear glass over a coloured interior.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find this specific vase or anything so similar that it would remove all doubt, but I hope that it is one step closer.

For those interested in Gral Glas, I also found a link to the Hentrich glas museum in Düsseldorf, where a Gral glas exhibit is scheduled for feb to may 2011 (as the Gral glas book is expected to be published in februari 2011 as well, that might be a deliberate combination).

Let me know what you think...

Astrid

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
Hi Astrid,  just a note of caution....my ESET Smart Security would not allow me to look at the first link in your last posting....it says there is a Trojan attached......just thought I should mention this.

I like yopur vase, there is something fishlike about it,  but it isn't a fish....anyway, I am looking through some of my archives and if I come up with anything,  I will post immediately.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »
Well, I know the site in question is from a Dutch glass collector that I've met. I often browse his site, and I bought some vases of him in the spring. While of course you never can be entirely sure, I can't imagine there something being wrong with the site (unless it's been hacked?). My up to date Kapersky doesn't think anything is wrong.

I've created a link for just the picture of the vase in question of the first link, without the rest of the encoding, if you think your program is sufficiently warning you, could you perhaps check whether your program also objects to just the picture? It may be something in the site encoding that doesn't agree with some security programs. If you think it's too risky, simply ignore this...

http://artglassleiden.nl/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/IMG_6840.jpg

Astrid

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
Hi again Astrid,  yes your Kaspersky will neutralise the Trojan and let you through....ESET won't allow entrance but would let me look at the new picture.  I mentioned the Trojan, as according to Microsoft, it is a real threat and not everyone has full protection.

Back to your lovely vase,  Bo Borgstrom comes to mind.....is it worth your looking at some of his work?  I think he designed for Aseda.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:33:41 PM »
As my Eset is also flagging it up as infected and as we've looked at the source code on a Linux machine and there is something on every page that we checked, the link has been removed and the website owner has been notified of the problem. I'd suggest than anyone who has visited that site from this topic runs a scan to make sure your pc is clean.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand