No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight 1980's paperweight - which range?  (Read 5218 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Isle of Wight 1980's paperweight - which range?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 12:27:13 AM »
Thanks Anton. Lovely photos.  It definitely looks more like your Kyoto Cherry Globe vase than the Meadow Garden Poppy. It is still on its way to me so will be interesting to compare. I have also just bought a Kyoto Cherry Globe vase too as I rather like the Kyoto pattern, so will then have 3 pieces to compare.
Thanks again to everyone for their input.
regards from a sweltering Perth (37C today and it is only spring here!)  :phew:

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline bclem

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:17 PM »
Hi JAK!

I lived on the Isle of Wight up to 10 years ago and know the owners of the factory.  IOW is a small island off the south coast of England about 40 miles across.  The factory is based at Ventnor on the south coast of the island.  I recently had some repairs made to a piece of my "Mulberry" collection.  I have copied your picture and will email it to the owner of IOW Glass to see if she can ID the series name for you.  Regards, Bill....Devon, England.

Offline bclem

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
Hi JAK!
Before I email the image, is there a copy right law here prohibiting my emailing it?
Rgds, Bill

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
Hi Bill

The photos were not posted on here as they are not mine - they are the sellers, I just put the link to the ebay record up.
I still have not received this paperweight - this time of year there are always delays. As soon as I get it I will take my own photos which you may then freely distribute. I don't think we should be sending the sellers photos around.

thanks for your interest.  ;D

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline bclem

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
Hi Jak!
I have spoken to a chap at The Isle of Wight Glass Studios and he will be happy to ID your paperweight.  He is Ron Wheeler, Sales and Marketing Manager, at the studios in Ventnor Isle of Wight.  His email is    wheeler.ron(AT)talktalk(DOT).net       Regards,  Bill

Moderator: email address protected against spam harvesters. To use the address please change (AT) to @ and (DOT) to .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »
Ron may well turn up and have a look - he's a member here - but he's also a very busy man, give him time. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 03:07:55 AM »
Hi Bill, thanks for that. I have corresponded with Ron before - he kindly confirmed ID on a pair of goblets I bought a while back. So I will send him a photo.

The weight arrived on Friday so I have just taken some photos which I will post here. It is much more orange and green than it appeared in the sellers photos, but having looked at my book and also on the web I still don't know what it is.

It is almost transparent - ie not a white background like the Kyoto range
It is quite heavily fumed - quite iridescent
the green spots are two different shades, an emerald type green and a more turquiosey green.
the amber/brown/rust coloured spots are all the same colour
the black looking spots are in fact a very very deep purple/blue
the trails of colour are almost incised into the surface -where they meet at the base they can actually be felt, but sunken into the glass, not raised out.

would love to opinions from anyone interested.

regards

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
Perhaps New Kyoto Black? See page 101 of Mark Hill's Michael Harris book, left hand column, last paragraph.

John

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
I am getting confused here too! To me the most similarity still seems to be with Kyoto Cherry, but there are clear differences. Kyoto Cherry does not have the dark, almost black spots, and the pink on the PW is salmon pink rather like Meadow Garden Foxglove (but it's not Foxglove) whereas Kyoto Cherry has a pale pink. Maybe it's because the PW is heavily fumed. It is definitely not New Kyoto Black (see here: http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/newkyoto).

Well, as Alice said, 'Curiouser and curiouser!'
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:37 AM »
Thanks John & chilternhills for your comments. I have had a look at New Kyoto black and don't think there is a similarity there. I have two pieces of Kyoto Cherry, a goblet and a small vase,  and it is not the same as those. They have a much whiter base - this as if it has been fumed directly on to the clear glass, and the "pink" spots on the PW are more topaz than pink.

I have sent a copy of the photos to Ron at Artius Glass to see if he can help. Will report back when I hear from him.

regards
JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum