No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery PK Mark?  (Read 27248 times)

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
Re: Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »
Having two hyacinth vases with this now famous signature, I've always followed this topic with interest.
Yesterday I picked up a book called An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass by Harold Newman. Coming to the letter P, I found the following:
" PF (or PP) glassware.
Opaque white glassware enamelled by an unidentified hand (one piece is initialled 'PF' or 'PP'), featuring floral bouquets, and also peacocks and CHINOISERIES on a 'floating raft'. It has been said that the decorator was possibly from Newcastle, and that his work has been erroneously attributed to Michael Edkins.
See R.J. Charleston, 'A painter of Opaque-white glass,' Glass notes, Arthur Churchill, Ltd, 13 (1953) p.13."

With my two vases the PF makes sense, remains the letter K. PP I have never seen.
Both my vases are white opaque with very skillfully painted bouquets, that makes sense too.
I bought my vases in England, for what it's worth.
I have no idea about the time frame of any of this, just thought it might give a new outlook on the whole mystery.

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
I am curious if this mark is still unidentified. There is an ebay seller making claims it is Poschinger. 

"I have two of these vases that are signed, KFP which is from KRYSTALLGLASFABRIK FREIHERR VON POSCHINGER. Estimated date is from the end of the Victorian era through the early Art Deco years."

None of these have ever looked like Poschinger to me.

The post can be seen here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signed-Poschinger-Antique-Victorian-Bohemian-Hand-Painted-Floral-Art-Glass-Vase-/131080933553?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item1e850850b1

Just wondering if I missed something.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
Craig this Poschinger deal has been floating around for about two years now, but to the best of my knowledge no solid credible documentation has surfaced...its just the most recent guess at interpretation of the PK, FPK, ad nauseam marking. Same scenerio with the Webb morrocan enameling interpretation. Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
I followed this for years as well - the P reminds me of how some other Czech marks were enamelled (as well as the way the vases are made) so personally I've always thought Czech and possibly late 1900's for these pieces but I've never found any evidence to support the PK mark being anyone in particular. 

And yes, the 'Webb Moroccan' same thing -  although I think that particular 'id'  came from piece written in an American antiques journal originally - I think I posted something I found on that one somewhere on the board?
For those vases ('Webb Moroccan') Truitt's have suggested Southern Bohemia as a possibility iirc (just in case anyone happens upon this thread).
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
The brown highlighting is typical Bohemian as is the shape though the design is somewhat more modern (i.e. Art Deco) than is generally the case

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Thanks all.....  so nothing I missed...... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-Pair-Victorian-Satin-Or-Opaline-Glass-Floral-Hand-Painted-Vases-Signed-PK-/291051889671?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item43c40b6407

another pair for  sale here. 
These have a pretty decoration in terms of the colours of the flowers (not so browny tauny) with the large flowers in bright pink and yellow and one of the leaves in a blue - all the outlines in a pinky purple gloss enamel. 
Also signed with the odd P that looks as though it is a backward F against a P and then the K lower down the stem of the P/F.

Might they be French?  just wondering  :-[
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
Speculation about the authorship of these decorated pieces has been going on for more than 30 years. Everything has been suggested, nothing has ever been substantiated. I stopped believing that an attribution is possible long time ago. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
'Speculation about the authorship of these decorated pieces has been going on for more than 30 years. Everything has been suggested, nothing has ever been substantiated. I stopped believing that an attribution is possible long time ago.'

To be honest, I don't like them enough to care  :-[

m

Offline ru12bnvs

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • United States
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
I have been dealing in & collecting Art Glass for over 30 years now. We have had several pieces of Art Glass with the PK mark (We have 2 pieces currently). After extensive research AND after having a vase signed PK as well as having the company mark, we have finally established the maker as being the Czechoslovakia company of HARRACH! It was a looooooooooong and exhaustive search!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand