No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lutken vase? - ID = Leerdam Copier  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Lutken vase? - ID = Leerdam Copier
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
ahremk's query reminded me, I've had this vase sitting round for a couple of years.  

It is the same height and width as a piece on Hardernet.dk (great site, Peter!): the 70th entry in the Lütken, Per kunstglas solo section.  But it's very heavy - around 900g instead of the stated 628g.  It's smoke grey colour, has a flattened top rim, and has a ground-out punty mark on the base.  No signature.

Could it be by Lutken?  I've always thought it might be, but this is the first documentary evidence of anything remotely resembling it.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Re: Lutken vase?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
ahremk's query reminded me, I've had this vase sitting round for a couple of years. 

It is the same height and width as a piece on Hardernet.dk (great site, Peter!): the 70th entry in the Lütken, Per kunstglas solo section.  But it's very heavy - around 900g instead of the stated 628g.  It's smoke grey colour, has a flattened top rim, and has a ground-out punty mark on the base.  No signature.

Could it be by Lutken?  I've always thought it might be, but this is the first documentary evidence of anything remotely resembling it.

Hej Chris

Will make a closer look at your vase, but as my first impression with that base, I have my doubts that it will turn out as Per Lütken - The different in weight I do often see in the hand blown glass also same items, think more to do with the glass blowers skills to lift the right/same amount of glass from the oven to blow the same item over and over again. 
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:21:19 AM »
Thanks, Peter. 
Any alternative possible attributions are welcome, also...

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
Hej Chris

Will make a closer look at your vase, but as my first impression with that base, I have my doubts that it will turn out as Per Lütken - The different in weight I do often see in the hand blown glass also same items, think more to do with the glass blowers skills to lift the right/same amount of glass from the oven to blow the same item over and over again. 

Hej Chris

Have been trough the documentation that I hold and it do not looks to be a Danish bowl/vase it is very similar to the Aqua serie UMANAK bowl/vase but slightly different i the overall angels and shape.

I do not seems that a "solo" no name piece can be found in the literature or documentation I hold.

There is also the different base to your vase, most vases in the Aqua range do have a flat base, do think your vase origin is to be found outside DK and my feeling is most likely south of Denmark I am not so sure that it is common for the Nordic countries.

Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
Oh, well.  Thanks for your trouble, Peter.  I'll keep looking...

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
It's not Afors - they did similar ones, but not as thick (see below).

Whitefriars often had ground pontils and no signatures, and some were quite thick ?

Gareth

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
Nice piece of Leerdam Copier, there, Chris! I think it is from the 1948 collection, no idea how long it has been in production.  Usually there is the CL stamp in the middle, but for export the stamp was often omitted. Also, during the years 1948-50 the stamp was sandblasted and can be sketchy.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Re: Lutken vase? - ID = Leerdam Copier
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
Many thanks, Ivo, that's great news. 
I seem to have a blank spot in my brain that completely covers up Leerdam and makes me ignore it. 
That's the second time I've had a piece by Andries Copier, but completely put him out of my mind. 
Must. Do. Better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand