No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear and orange textured vase, not Whitefriars but who?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: is it Whitefriars ?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
As you have already been informed on whitefriars.com your vase was not made at Whitefriars, they really do have the expertise and knowledge required to make that judgment. JP is right in saying it is easier to say what it is not than it is to give you a definite maker. Sadly many attributions found on line (including on ebay) are the result of at best wishful thinking.

It should be possible to id your vase but it may take a little time and effort. It would help if we had photos that were a bit bigger so we could see more details (first photo). Help on photos here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
A photo clearly showing the texture may be useful.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
Just found the link and the picture! ...there are subtle differences between your vase and the one on My Things.  Theirs is straight sided right from the base, and the colour is the same throughout,  whereas yours appears to have a chamfered base and the colour looks graduated, lighter towards the top.

I'm sure someone will come up with a maker.....it can take a little time,  but the people on GMB are tenacious and so helpful.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jeanniegal

• Members
  • Live and let live
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »
 :nogos: :tsk: 8)
As you have already been informed on whitefriars.com your vase was not made at Whitefriars, they really do have the expertise and knowledge required to make that judgment. JP is right in saying it is easier to say what it is not than it is to give you a definite maker. Sadly many attributions found on line (including on ebay) are the result of at best wishful thinking.

It should be possible to id your vase but it may take a little time and effort. It would help if we had photos that were a bit bigger so we could see more details (first photo). Help on photos here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
A photo clearly showing the texture may be useful.

John
i will put some better photos on.... it it the same vase on the photo but a smaller version. I always knew in my heart it wasn't Whitefriars when i started tryin to id. it, which i got a tad obsessive about... so here i am at your mercy with my vase and i will wait patiently and thanx   

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
Apart from the fading colour being one which is definitely not Whitefriars, the 12 inch height is not something you will generally find in this type of textured Whitefriars.  There are just a handful of Baxter vases which come close to this height - Banjo vase, Hooped vase, Cucumber vase, Totem Pole vase to name but four, but non  of those have that "barkish" texture.

My guess it is "Continental" i.e. German or Austrian, (Ingridglas or Oberglas perhaps).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Clear and orange textured vase, not Whitefriars but who?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
Later photos added for jeanniegal... this is about as good / big as I can make them given the copies I've been sent.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jeanniegal

• Members
  • Live and let live
Re: Clear and orange textured vase cleaned & new pics...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
 :rn:i have cleaned it up and its made a real difference and put on some new photos.I myself have still not found out anything new despite my efforts.thanks

Offline jeanniegal

• Members
  • Live and let live
Re: Clear and orange textured vase cleaned & new pics...
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
:rn:i have cleaned it up and its made a real difference and put on some new photos.I myself have still not found out anything new despite my efforts.thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand