No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase cut with birds and flowers - Zelezny Brod?  (Read 707 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Vase cut with birds and flowers - Zelezny Brod?
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
It's not in my normal range to collect, but I was intrigued enough to buy it. Definitely old (maybe too old for my collection, but I thought it could be 50s), lots of wear and little scratches.

The bird and the branches with flowers are cut out of the glass, every bit of cut flower is an indentation. I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert in engraving and cutting techniques to know how well it's done (but there are lots of little details everywhere) and what time/style it could be. Hard to take a good picture of, but I hope the detail photos help a bit.

Polished rim, and the base is polished flat. 14.7 cm high, 10.5 cm across at the rim, and 6.5 cm across at the base. Sadly, no marks anywhere.

I have the faintest idea where to look - Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Belgium, France? And I'm quite unsure of the time period as well. 20th century probably, but it could be anywhere from 1920 to 1960?

So, who can help me out, or start me of with some observations about possible origin and/or time period?

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline singingyamada

• Members
Re: Vase cut with birds and flowers - ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
Astrid I am of no used except to say that it is lovely. I did a cursory search just ot find the shape.  I was thinking Orrefors

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline engraved glass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
Astrid,

Its always hard to tell the time frame of engraving as the techniques used long ago are still the techniques used today.  Your "vase" to me appears to be the bottom to a decanter that had the neck removed (maybe due to damage)....that same damage could have had the foot cut down, giving you the "vase" you now have.  Although many odd shapes are and were done in glass, so that just my opinion.

The engraving is done with a minimum of wheels, they are pretty much used independently, mostly of sharp and round strap wheels with a few line wheels and such.  It is nicely done but not masterly so.

Still very enjoyable.

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:27 PM »
I agree with the observation about the quality of the engraving - it's nice, but I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece either. Good honest workmanship was my idea.

I'm not so sure about this having been a decanter. If that was cut down, it was a long time ago, since the wear on the rim and the base is consistent with the wear on the rest of the piece. Also, it may not be a common shape, but the curves don't feel forced to me as a vase. The amount of room above and below the engraving is equal, enforcing the feeling that the shape was meant that way. If that was a decanter, I really can't imagine what the top bit would have looked like. Also, it's already quite heave as it is - I think it would be quite a heavy piece to lift and pour liquid from, even more so if this was only half of it.

Then again, what do I know :) ?

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:29:37 AM »
The swallow design strikes me as Art Nouveau and I don't think it's a cut down decanter either

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
I took a few extra pictures today with different light to see if I could get the round flow of the shape of the piece more clear. Also added a shot of the base, and a direct shot of the detail of the engraving (and the scratches).

If it's art nouveau, I'm definitely out of my comfort zone :)

Astrid

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
I got a tip today to have a look at Jindrich's photographs of the Zelezny Brod museum 2009, and while the vase pictured there is obviously a lot more fancy, the whole shape of this vase is remarkably similar to mine. Maybe this means my vase could be a 40s-50s Czech piece?

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/MuseumZeleznyBrod2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCP32qaus7sLMqAE#5437025762395907938

Maybe a mod can help me change the subject to attract Jindrich's attention, perhaps he can add something to this observation.

Astrid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand