No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opaque White Press-Moulded Footed Dish  (Read 613 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Opaque White Press-Moulded Footed Dish
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
Way way out of my comfort zone - it came as the odd one out in an auction joblot of glass I'm more familiar with. :)

20cm diameter, 10cm tall. Obvious mould lines up either side of the bowl, and around the rim of the foot. The lattice decor is pressed, but the wavy rim has been hot-worked, it appears. Fair amount of wear to the base rim.

Any clues gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Opaque White Press-Moulded Footed Dish
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
This is known as "milk glass", and the sort of edging is known as "open lace", which gives you a few search terms at least. It was most popular in the US. I managed to find the following quite quickly, but without any identification.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48096914/vintage-milk-glass-footed-bowl-with-open?ref=cat2_gallery_11

This is also the sort of thing about which the people at chataboutdg would know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Opaque White Press-Moulded Footed Dish
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Ah yes, having the right terminology would certainly help!  ;D

I looked about t'interwebs for an hour or so, but couldn't find another example beyond the one you already came up with.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand