No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'milk glass' vase - ID = Westmoreland English Hobnail  (Read 715 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
'milk glass' vase - ID = Westmoreland English Hobnail
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
or simply opaque white glass, depending on which side of the pond you happen to be :)    It looks an old style design with this six way crimp on the ruffled rim, but I bet more than likely it only dates to the last 25 years, somewhere.    I always plump for the States with these pieces, as I understand the USA were very big with original and reproductions of this material right through into the mid C20, and beyond  -  but I stand to be corrected.   Difficult to assess base wear on some of these things due to the coarse finish to the edges, thus preventing wear to show clearly  -  some parts of the rim still carry slight projections, presumably because of poor mould closure, and there are four mould seams showing on the upper side of the foot.   Guess you'd call the surface a raised diamond pattern.      If pushed, I'd plump for Fenton, somewhere in the 1960 period, or close by (I did look through Belknap, my only book on milk glass - but no luck) - height is something like 6.75" - about 170mm.      Any chances I might be getting warm, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline suzzi

• Members
Re: possible Fenton 'milk glass' vase.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:33 AM »
I believe this is Westmoreland English Hobnail.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
thank you suzzi :)   I really have no idea, and was suggesting Fenton just to get the ball rolling.   Do you have a source of reference for this attribution - have you seen this pattern in a book perhaps, and do you have some idea of date of manufacture?     thanks :)

Offline suzzi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »
It is a very common pattern, here in the USA anyway. It was made in the 30's-70's I believe. A simple web search will tell you all the you want to know. As for the pattern, it is dead on, I was just not able to find a picture of the exact same vase.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »
thanks - I wasn't trying to be dismissive - and have now looked at a variety of Westmorland pieces, and seems you are indeed spot on  -  so thanks again for your help. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand