No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deep intaglio engraving--Scandanavian or Bohemian?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Deep intaglio engraving--Scandanavian or Bohemian?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
What a sweet vase albglass, I really like it....a little girl with her teddy in the garden watching a butterfly....she has obviously finished watering the flowers as her watering can is on its side.....I like the sweet innocence of the subject.  

I haven't a clue who made it, but I would like to know, so I am adding this piece so that I get updates.  

I have just started to become interested in engraved glass, and had a fascinating talk with Lesley Pyke at the Glass Fair.  Maybe she will look in here and come up with some suggestions for you.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Rosie - if you want to get notifications on topics without having to say something, go to the top of the "page-bit" of the thread, on the right hand side - there is a group of about 4-5 tabs - there's one which says "notify" - just click on that. You'll get a box which asks you if that's what you mean to do, click on yes.

That way, nobody knows you're lurking.  >:D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:22 PM »
Thanks for reminder about the pontil vs pontil mark--I knew this, of course, but there I was getting sloppy about the terminology.  I get the same reaction when folks use the terms etching and engraving interchangeably, so I appreciate how irritating it can be!

I am not thinking that the vase is older than the engraving.  The vase would have been made for an engraving, otherwise the large oval would have looked quite strange with nothing on it.  And these old shapes continued to be made, even up to today, as you mentioned, Sue.  I have other wonderful (fortunately marked) examples of 1960s/1970s Central European glass that use glass designs from prior to the mid-1930s.  I wouldn't think that having a post WWII design on a pre-WWII shape would be that unusual, which is why I initially thought that it was from that area.  But I have seen traditional shapes being used today by Scandanavian companies, too (although not this particular shape), so I still can't be sure whether this vase is Scandanavian or Central European (and may never know!).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand