No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Noob Needs Help! Milk Glass Identity  (Read 2586 times)

Offline LiqwdE

• Members
Glass Noob Needs Help! Milk Glass Identity
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
Just got into milk glass. Came across one I could find. Cant Identify the pattern and it has a weird texture.

Any Help or Leads?

And, Any Tips on researching things better for myself?

Chris.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LiqwdE

• Members
Re: Glass Noob Needs Help! Milk Glass Identity
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
No one?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
Hello Chris, welcome to the Board.

Please note that, with my moderator hat on, I have deleted your duplicate thread from the USA forum. Please always post ID requests initially in the general Glass forum only and when we get a satisfactory result, a moderator will move the thread to the relevant forum for future reference.

Without my moderator hat on I would also say ... Please be patient. People who know about an item may not be around too often. If there is no response within a day or two, it does not mean people are not looking. There have been 33 views of your thread since it was posted and perhaps some of the people who have looked are checking out references etc. People do not often add negative responses as this can just clutter up a thread.
KevinH

Offline LiqwdE

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
I do Apologize. I wasn't sure where to put it. Again, sorry.
This is my first time on a forum like this and new to glass... guess the impatience got to me. Sorry about that two.
But Also, Looking to learn to research things for myself. So any help there to would be appreciated.

Sorry Again Everyone,
Chris

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Just to reassure you Chris......I, (along with many others I'm sure), am busy looking at all the milk glass I can find on the web....there will be a lot of us busy bees droning away in the background looking for matching items for all of the queries.....someone will find an answer, don't worry.

The main thing is your enthusiasm, we like that, and respond accordingly.  The nice thing is that some of the members are actually experts in particular fields and when they log on and see a request in their field....it all suddenly happens!!
In the meantime, other novices like me are beavering about in the background....and SOMETIMES, even we come up with something!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline LiqwdE

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have looked at this thread and apologize once more for the impatience. Hopefully I'll learn a lot here and maybe even help some others out one day. Thanks Rosie

Chris

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
Hi Chris :hi: Still looking for you..... :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
Hello Chris............I would say almost without hesitation that this is a covered sugar, although regrettably can't see this shape in my one and only book (only goes up to 1950).  I can't make out what the pattern is supposed to be, as your picture is rather unclear, therefore please if possible, explain in words what you conside the external design to be.     I'm only taking a very wild guess, but would suggest the date to be somewhere in the 1960 - 70 period, and as for hints on how to research  -  yes, spend as much time on the net trawling other and wiser people's gallery's - plus invest in some reliable books with plenty of pictures.     As far as I know, this type of material is collected more commonly on the States side of the pond, so hope someone over there is researching for you also.     Nice piece by the way :)

Offline LiqwdE

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
Thanks Paul, Thought I would add this picture I drew up to make it easier to see the Pattern around the bottom edge of the "Covered Sugar"

Besides the pattern along the bottom there is also a texture... Its like the entire surface is "scratched" ... Like a tiger or zebra print.

Guess its off to the book store soon to load up on reading material. Anyone suggest any books or websites?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:16:50 AM »
It might be American, so here would be a good place to ask http://www.chataboutdg.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand