No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Crystal Fish Vase  (Read 965 times)

Offline perfume

• Members
Mdina Crystal Fish Vase
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:58:05 AM »
Hi, I have a Mdina Fish vase which has a label on saying Mdina Crystal not Mdina Glass.  The label is round with Mdina written in gold at the top, then in the middle is an emblem, which may be the cross, ( but worn out) then Crystal written in gold at the bottom.  I am wondering what year this would have been made but mainly why the word crystal?  It is a lot like the photo in Mark Hills book bottom left of page 51.  Huge thanks to whoever can help me out here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina Crystal Fish Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
Welcome to the board. It would help if you could post photos of the vase and the label, help with photos here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html. If you run into problems reply to this thread and ask for help.

I suspect the use of the word crystal is simply for marketing purposes, in which country did you buy the vase?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline perfume

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome John, here are two photos which hopefully will help!!

I bought the vase from an antique centre last year in England.

MOD: Overly huge images resized to something more sensible

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
From the style of your vase it is possible to say that it was made after Michael Harris left Mdina so post 1972. After that it is guesswork unless they are dated, in this case I would suspect late 1970s or more likely 1980s for a production date.
I have only seen this label on pressed glass items which I suspect were made for Mdina elsewhere and then marketed and sold by them. I have not seen that label on any other 'art glass' item and it may have been added to your fish vase to provide (unnecessary in my opinion) provenance.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
I'd agree with John on this. I sort of think this is probably into the '80s, from the very straight sides and the rather thick neck. I'm confused by the label too, I agree it's "latish". I think I would simply ignore it. The Fish, (like all Mdina) speaks for itself.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline perfume

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
Big thanks to both John and Sue for your help.  Bit of a mystery about this label!  I agree with your ideas, I think it does make sense that maybe this was made elsewhere for Mdina around the 1980's.  I'm glad I talked myself into buying this vase, it is lovely.   If I ever get more information I will let you know.   I appreciate your time and effort on my question that was very kind of you.   

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
No, no no - your Fish vase was made at Mdina, honest!
It's the label which seems out of place, on the wrong sort of glass and from a later period..... :huh:

You'll have to display it with the light coming through it, to take full advantage of everything that's going on inside it - all the crizzle stuff, full of silver chloride effects... Glad you're happy with it! :rah:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline perfume

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
Oh, I see now, oops sorry my fault, I was at the completely wrong end of stick!!    Thanks for putting me straight, I feel just a little bit of a plonker (often)!  I shall ignore the label for now, well it is on the bottom anyway!   I have it in sturdy glass cabinet with lights inside at the moment, when the summer comes, I will place it in my kitchen window for a more natural effect.   Thanks again, again!!   

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:12:55 PM »
Here is the label in good condition (thanks Michelle): https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/Mdina#5582093779456154114

As it says "fully hand cut" and "24% lead crystal" it would not have been on the vase originally.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
 :smg: :smg: :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk