No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: er... I'm hoping this is what I think it is? cobalt blue Malta?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Today I hope the stars are in my orbit.  I was given some jewellery and it's box many years ago by an old lady who has since died.  I've never really fished through the box as it was all costume jewellery and a bit small for what I wear.   But last night it caught my attention as I was walking out the spare room and I had a look through briefly. And the first thing I pulled out was an 18ct gold ring with an opal in it.  So I took it to the jewellers this morning to sell it.  I'm not good on opals, I don't particularly like them really.  Anyway, en route home I popped into an antiques place and there it was.  I was looking at something else entirely and my hand reached out of its own accord and just picked it up.  Is it what I think it is?   It's 9 3/4"wide (25cm) by 8 1/2" high (21.5cm)  .I'm keeping everything crossed here. I'm on tenterhooks. (But don't worry about disappointing me...I can take it).  I'm hoping the valuation on the ring will pay for it :X:
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: er... I'm hoping this is what I think it is? cobalt blue Malta?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
It is cartainly a very early Michael Harris Fish, the most desirable kind - and it's gorgeous, but I don't think it is cobalt, just "normal" turquoisey blue.

Run and grab it - now - do not pass go, (but you might need to collect the £200) these very special (and button-rimmed to boot) Fish vases are scarce. Max your overdraft if you must, beg, borrow or steal the rest.......

(having said that, I don't know the price on it. I paid £350 for mine - it's the same colour - not cobalt, but mine's more triangular.)

I know exactly what you mean about your hand doing something before you realise it's done it - that's how I found my tiny little "Precious Baby Fish".

See you later, when it's yours!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »
Sue it is mine already  :ooh:  I mean, you know...well, you know when you just do something, and think about how to pay for it later?  Well that's what I did.  I thought I'd find out about it later and hope for the best.
I'm in serious trouble here, I'm supposed to be selling my stuff (that's what I told hubby) because I have just accumulated  way too many things and our spare room is now entirely covered in boxes of all sorts  - I've been collecting since I was in my teens, various 'stuff' and I'm talking huge hand made boats carried back on aircraft from Mauritius type stuff, along with a 4 foot long antique Dutch butter trug thingy, and so on.  So I gave myself a good talking to and decided I will focus clearly on what I want to keep and sell the rest of my ceramics, glass etc.  Well, I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the jeweller to call now - cos I bought the vase anyway, hoping the jeweller will give me good news ;D
Hubby just rolled his eyes at lunchtime.  I think he might have given up on me  :24:
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
 :rah:

Oh, whew, good. I imagine you didn't pay as much as I did?
Quite apart from it's gorgeousness, it is an investment - if you could ever bear to part with it.

Sometimes, when something really fabulous and scarce like this becomes available, you have to forget all your resolutions about not getting more "stuff" and go for it.
You won't ever regret it - and you've got the "My hand went out on it's own and grabbed it!" story to tell - about your unconscious putting your muscles into action before it even told your conscious bits what you were doing - you don't get more accurate "gut instinct" about glass than this!

yay - well done you! :smg: :smg: :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »
Lovely find. :smg: I would be insanely jealous but as I am lucky enough to have a couple of similar items, I am just envious. ;D

I think these early bits are fascinating, you can almost see the evolution of the design as MH experimented with the form. Your blue fish is big Michelle, quite a bit bigger than this blue one and way bigger than this amethyst one. Sorry can't resist showing off. I paid a similar amount as Sue for the amethyst fish, less for the blue and as far as I am concerned they are more than well worth the price.

Sue is right, some pieces are worth a struggle for, it is easy enough to pass something by that is more run of the mill but push the boat out for those special items.

Of course, I would recommend collecting another glassworks instead...... >:D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
 :24:

If you're not careful, folk will start thinking these are far more common than they really are - as you have two early early Fish John, I have three... crikey, we're at 6 of these beasties between the three of us here already!

there are the ones in the book, (3 of them) there's an amethyst one "out there" which Michael Harris made for Helen Munro Turner, I've seen another 2 amethyst ones on ebay over the years. There's a really wonky turquoisey blue one MH made at the RCA - that's in the States. I'm sure I do know of another 2, maybe 3 blue ones (but I've forgotten where or when I saw them, or if they were turquoise or cobalt)

Can you add to this, John?

We should also remember the historical importance of these pieces - Michael Harris was a major instigator and leader of the Studio Glass Movement in Europe, following the inspiration he got when Sam Herman came to London - this is the work he was doing while instigating his end of the Movement - and learning all about hot glass work himself.
These pieces really belong in a museum of modern art. We're just incredibly lucky to be able to live with them just now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
Can't say I have seen any others others Sue, as you know (and are probably bored of hearing) I would really like a brown one too, to make up a fish vase 'triumvirate'. ::)

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »
The only brown one I know of is the one in the book.
My PBF is both blue (cobalt) and brown - all streaky.

hmmmm. We could have problems, John, if a brown one comes on the market. You'd want it, I'd want it. I've promised you PBF in my will.
You'd have a high set of motivations for murdering me!  :wsh:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
 ;D can we catalogue them  by size and colour so far then?
I guess even if there are 15 or so 'out there' that we currently know about, the special 'ness' of them is that they are all different.
John, I don't collect Mdina you'll be pleased to hear  :angel: .....but I *do* collect early studio glass from independent makers  >:D.  So, early in their career if possible, which means I get to buy 70's stuff or 90's stuff or even stuff from a few years ago and theoretically in my head, it still fits into *my* collection - good excuse   ;D
Thank you both for celebrating with me!
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
Suppose I'd better show my three. :smg: :smg: :smg:

But oh dear, ff, you're in my territory with going for really early things by now-well-known artists from early on in their careers, (ie.  early Studio Glass Movement).
I thought I was alone in this - but perhaps we should communicate a little more and share enthusiasm!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand